YGOPRO Forum

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
6 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Michael Lawrence Dee  
#1 Posted : Friday, January 16, 2015 5:32:26 PM(UTC)
Michael Lawrence Dee

Was thanked: 1337 time(s) in 1077 post(s)
Ok. I noticed a lot of people want to make their custom cards but a lot of them were unsuccessful. What I do is still the same as I started, by copy-pasting but I learned how to make the overall easier.

Let's start with the basics.
NOTE: The tutorial is below is extremely outdated and will only be used when I refer it during my Tutorial, skip ahead.
http://www.ygopro.co/Forum/tabid/95/g/posts/t/120/Adding-cards-to-YGOPro--Tutorial----Scripting-video-Added
Basically, I also use SQLite since it's kind of easier for me rather than using a Card Packer.
First off, we use cdb files, there is one in-game by default but adding cards directly to that can risk being deleted in the next update. So I promote the use of the expansions format which was added years back.
To use the expansions format, you have to use to have a cdb and a zip and place them in the expansions folder.

And due to the difficulty for adding an effective expansions format, I decided to include the template here for the ease of reusability. Basically, this includes the .cdb and .zip when extracted. The .cdb is the empty database while the .zip contains pics and scripts folders where the .jpg, .png and .lua files will be placed. For first timers, these files are to be placed in your expansions folder and rename them to anything to avoid accidental overwriting of files. Remember as well that in order to overwrite their contents or to apply changes, YGoPro must be closed. Plus, even if you update the official YGoPro game, you won't lose your Custom Cards.
Empty Expansions Template

text tab in the cdb in SQLite. Refer to Jackmoonward's Tutorial.

And now we move on to the data in SQLite.
First of all, the concept in SQLite uses 2 number types. Decimal and Hexadecimal. Decimal is 0-9 which is the one we use and Hexadecimal is 0-F (A-F are equivalent to 10-15). SQLite can only read Decimal but its values are solely based on their Hexadecimal counterpart. By opening your Calculator (in Windows, a scientific calculator also works but I think the one in my laptop is easier), go to View and change it to Programmer (Alt+3 in my laptop, Windows 8). Now you see the Dec and Hex at the left side? That's where you gonna use the whole time.
In order to convert a hex value to decimal, simply copy-paste the sum (if any) of the hex values, then click on dec, now copy-paste that into your SQLite. --we'll use this the entire time!

id
Which is your card number, it should be the same number as the one in your text tab.

ot --This is to check the availability of cards and where is it usable.
To make it simple, it's to check if it's for OCG, TCG, etc. Oh and I decided to change this to decimal already instead of hex, because rarely will you add values and if you do, it's usually just TCG and OCG.

alias --We add this for the sake of same name cards.
We use this mostly for cards with the same artwork, such as Dark Magician, or Blue-Eyes White Dragon. And also with Anime counterparts of cards.

setcode The setcode is the archetype of your cards.
Jackmoonward has explained this in his tutorial but it's all outdated. I cannot give you the complete list of archetype yet but I'll reshow you how it works and to check each setcode that exists.
How exactly (and basically) these setcodes work. --Like I said, it all starts with the hex.

How to check if a specific setcode exists:

How to make a card of an existing archetype OR make an extension of an existing archetype.

Type --card type, just beside setcode
Now the card numbers, Jackmoonward missed the Pendulum Era and I'm going to explain how it works in hex format. Just add the values and convert them to Decimal to make your card's type.
This is more likely explained in Categories just a few steps below this so you may want to check it out if you didn't understand my explanation. Oh yeah and remember, disregard the "0x"

Level --More likely because of the Pendulums
Now, for any level (or Rank) (even above 12), just type in the number, simple as that.
As for Pendulum Scales:

race --aka monster type
For this, you can have multiple values at the same time, but most the users will only use one. I included the decimal because of this exact reason

attribute Refer to Jackmoonward's Tutorial.

Category
These are used when searching a card in the game. So the categories are used let's say. I want a card that destroys monsters, then you see the "Effect" at the right side full of checkboxes.
--Don't be lazy guys, please add this when you make a card.
And here's quoted by SGJin who knew how it works:
--P.S. The numbers below have 0x before the values, disregard those, just copy the numbers after it.

The scripts should have the same card number as your card.
The file should be named cXXXX.lua wherein XXXX is the card number.
A lot of things in the script ends up with the keyword end.
Your script starts off with function cXXXX.initial_effect(c)
and you close it with end
Here's an empty script with no unnecessary codes.

You can change constants.lua in strings folder for effects, races, attributes, etc. but make sure you DON'T MODIFY ANYTHING there!!!

Now, here are the basic lua-based codes I've used so far:

IMPORTANT: when making variables, make sure you check where you place them.
Here's an example when making locals in the function:

Variable making - you can use any other name for an effect, group of cards, number, etc.
Just make sure you don't use the predefined variables.
function cXXXX.op(e,tp,eg,ep,ev,re,r,rp) --highlighted are the predefined variables.
In the initial effect, there's only 1 variable which is c which means itself.
In effects, you don't need to use e1, e2, e3, e0, etc. But sometimes, it's easier just to use this to prevent confusion.
Not sure if it also applies to lua but in other coding, it's a must that you cannot start with a number and numbers should always go last.
So far, here are the possible codes that tested legal:

You can use the predefined variables but you cannot create another with the same name.
Meaning of predefined variables I know:

Now, as much as possible, copy-paste from other cards to avoid errors. It's okay to copy-paste as long as you have a wide idea on scripting.
Example: Special Summon conditions - take from Number F0, Lava Golem, etc.
Cannot be Special Summoned - take from Ancient Gear Golem

I can't script from scratch but I can combine scripts together since I understood how they work.
Make realistic effects. I tried and you cannot attack from hand, you cannot detach Tokens without the game crashing (except with a code I've learned on my own. Ask me if you want to learn about this.)

Now, let's start off with the initial effect in YGoPro LUA scripting.
Just like what I said, this initial effect is necessary, it can be empty but it is a must.

You can add a lot of things inside but as much as possible, use normal effects.
I'll start off with the common normal effects.

Effect making. See the contents below and it will contain the basic effect with any use. Explanation is included.

Remember, constants.lua is very crucial if you're a beginner and will be used in the next parts of the tutorial or you can just copy from other cards. :P

All the Card Codes and Duel Codes are here but of course, explanation and parameters are not included. I will explain them when I'm finished with all the basics.
Card/Duel Codes - interpreter.cpp

Now we get to the parts of the effects.
Remember, there are a huge amount of effects in the game, chain effects, continuous effects, effect that is applied like "cannot be destroyed by battle".
Remember that in the effect itself, the named effect, like e1 from the main function, is now the current "e" in the effect itself.
e1:SetDescription(aux.Stringid(XXXX,n)) - when activating more than 1 of the same timing of effect, this would show up.

e1:SetCategory(some category/ies) - used in Trigger, Quick and Activation Effects. This is to check if chaining effects are what type of effect.

e1:SetType(some type/s) - used to know what type of effect is used in that effect. There are only a few so I better include my explanation here. All the effect types are explained within the spoiler.

I haven't listed everything but it's because I'm quite busy. I just want to make a head start for now.

e1:SetRange(some range/s) - used to know where the effect is applied. There are also a few so I'll include my explanation here. All the ranges are explained within the spoiler.

e1:SetTargetRange(Your range,Your opponent's range) - used to know which player/ side is affected by the card effect. There are also a few so I'll include my explanation here. All the target ranges are explained within the spoiler.

e1:SetCountLimit(Number) - used to know how many times you can use an effect.
There are also a few so I'll include my explanation here. All the count limit formats are explained within the spoiler.

I've added an extension to this tutorial. Hardcoded Stuff

Edited by user Wednesday, November 08, 2017 3:13:33 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Update

Now this is how I play:
thanks 18 users thanked Michael Lawrence Dee for this useful post.
ohyoullfindout  
#2 Posted : Saturday, January 17, 2015 8:57:39 PM(UTC)
ohyoullfindout

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I'll keep an eye on this thread, thanks for making it. I'm still very noob at scripting. I usually reach what I want, but only after days trying to script/asking for help lol
Michael Lawrence Dee  
#3 Posted : Monday, January 19, 2015 9:23:01 AM(UTC)
Michael Lawrence Dee

Originally Posted by: ohyoullfindout Go to Quoted Post
I'll keep an eye on this thread, thanks for making it. I'm still very noob at scripting. I usually reach what I want, but only after days trying to script/asking for help lol

I still don't have enough time to edit this fully. But I will keep trying to get with this. I'm not just in Custom Cards but also with Deck Requests and Anime Card Scripting so this is really the least priority. But I really hope I finish this post.
Now this is how I play:
Athenawhisper  
#4 Posted : Monday, February 16, 2015 11:35:04 AM(UTC)
Athenawhisper

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 5 post(s)
So let me get his right about the variables:
c = Means that the script will check cards in a filter, but check itself on a summoning condition?
e = Checks the effect of the card?
tp = I believe means target player, it means the cards controller, and I believe it means opponent if you put it as 1-tp.
eg = Checking if a certain event is happening/has happened?
ep = Checking if your opponent or you does something?
ev = Checking when a certain value is reached?
re/r = When something happens by a Spell Card/Trap Card effect?
rp = When something happens by an opponent's effect?

Then there are effect types, I believe I know most of those:
EFFECT_TYPE_SINGLE = This means that there is just 1 effect on it's own. Like "Destroy 1 monster" as opposed to something like "Destroy 1 monster, then destroy 1 Spell/Trap Card" which is 2 effects.
EFFECT_TYPE_FIELD = This means it affects the field or a group of cards on the field. (I think)
EFFECT_TYPE_EQUIP = Used by equip spell cards to equip to monsters.
EFFECT_TYPE_ACTIONS = I don't know what this one it.
EFFECT_TYPE_ACTIVATE = Used by Spells and Traps to activate them. (I think)
EFFECT_TYPE_FLIP = Used for Flip Effects.
EFFECT_TYPE_CONTINUOUS = Used for Continuous Effects.
EFFECT_TYPE_IGNITION = Used for Ignition Effects.
EFFECT_TYPE_TRIGGER_O = Used for Optional Trigger Effects.
EFFECT_TYPE_QUICK_O = Used for Optional Quick Effects.
EFFECT_TYPE_TRIGGER_F = Used for Mandatory (Forced) Trigger Effects.
EFFECT_TYPE_QUICK_F = Used for Mandatory (Forced) Quick Effects.

And SetCodes and Events I sorta know, but there's too many to write out.
urielkama  
#5 Posted : Monday, February 16, 2015 7:57:38 PM(UTC)
urielkama

Was thanked: 256 time(s) in 211 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Athenawhisper Go to Quoted Post
So let me get his right about the variables:
c = Means that the script will check cards in a filter, but check itself on a summoning condition?
e = Checks the effect of the card?
tp = I believe means target player, it means the cards controller, and I believe it means opponent if you put it as 1-tp.
eg = Checking if a certain event is happening/has happened?
ep = Checking if your opponent or you does something?
ev = Checking when a certain value is reached?
re/r = When something happens by a Spell Card/Trap Card effect?
rp = When something happens by an opponent's effect?

Then there are effect types, I believe I know most of those:
EFFECT_TYPE_SINGLE = This means that there is just 1 effect on it's own. Like "Destroy 1 monster" as opposed to something like "Destroy 1 monster, then destroy 1 Spell/Trap Card" which is 2 effects.
EFFECT_TYPE_FIELD = This means it affects the field or a group of cards on the field. (I think)
EFFECT_TYPE_EQUIP = Used by equip spell cards to equip to monsters.
EFFECT_TYPE_ACTIONS = I don't know what this one it.
EFFECT_TYPE_ACTIVATE = Used by Spells and Traps to activate them. (I think)
EFFECT_TYPE_FLIP = Used for Flip Effects.
EFFECT_TYPE_CONTINUOUS = Used for Continuous Effects.
EFFECT_TYPE_IGNITION = Used for Ignition Effects.
EFFECT_TYPE_TRIGGER_O = Used for Optional Trigger Effects.
EFFECT_TYPE_QUICK_O = Used for Optional Quick Effects.
EFFECT_TYPE_TRIGGER_F = Used for Mandatory (Forced) Trigger Effects.
EFFECT_TYPE_QUICK_F = Used for Mandatory (Forced) Quick Effects.

And SetCodes and Events I sorta know, but there's too many to write out.

yes excatly as micheal wrotes you can find the set codes and other effect describtions under constant.lua file in your ygopro script folder.
Athenawhisper  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, February 18, 2015 12:40:38 PM(UTC)
Athenawhisper

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Michael Lawrence Dee Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Athenawhisper Go to Quoted Post

Actually, these 2 are used in 2 ways. (Yeah so all in all 4)
SINGLE only = used in effect effects example: "this card cannot be destroyed by battle" or "this card gains 300 atk for each blah blah"
FIELD only = used in multiple effect effects: example: "Monsters you control are unaffected by card effects"
SINGLE + Trigger/quick = example: When this card is normal summoned" OR "when this card attacks"
FIELD +trigger/quick = example: "When a monster is selected as an attack target" etc.

Yeah after looking around scripts a bit more it makes sense that SINGLE means it affects 1 card, rather than just being 1 effect.
EvilGladiator  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, February 24, 2015 2:15:54 PM(UTC)
EvilGladiator

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I'm seriously looking towards this topic to shed some light of guidance because I am incredibly lost.

I'm too lost to know what this is used for and WHEN it should be use and for WHAT effects it should be used:

Michael Lawrence Dee  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, February 24, 2015 2:22:30 PM(UTC)
Michael Lawrence Dee

Originally Posted by: EvilGladiator Go to Quoted Post
I'm seriously looking towards this topic to shed some light of guidance because I am incredibly lost.

I'm too lost to know what this is used for and WHEN it should be use and for WHAT effects it should be used:

I guess I stopped at SetDescription, I'll put some time on this and continue with this set stuff.
Now this is how I play:
thanks 1 user thanked Michael Lawrence Dee for this useful post.
DeusEverto  
#9 Posted : Saturday, March 07, 2015 10:37:06 AM(UTC)
DeusEverto

Would this card's effect be possible to create?

http://i.imgur.com/KOnMso7.jpg

I don't think there is a card with a similar effect to base it off of.

Also, regarding the first post, is there a library of term definitions? Like where I can find what it means, what it does, etc? That would make learning a lot easier. I know most people use already made effects as templates, but I'd hope someone actually knows all the coding.
Arvine  
#10 Posted : Saturday, March 07, 2015 11:07:12 AM(UTC)
Arvine

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Originally Posted by: DeusEverto Go to Quoted Post

Also, regarding the first post, is there a library of term definitions? Like where I can find what it means, what it does, etc? That would make learning a lot easier. I know most people use already made effects as templates, but I'd hope someone actually knows all the coding.

Sadly, the first effect is pretty impossible. Although you can replace it like:
When using this card as an Synchro Material Monster, you can use a "Crystal Beast" Monster treated as a Continuous Spell as the Synchro Material. I've modified T.G. Cyber Magician before to create Hellfire Boatwatcher, Ghost Charon (Anime) so you can Synchro Summon with monsters in the Graveyard.

constants.lua contains everything but it's hard to explain all of them. Are there any questions in the categories? If not, maybe I'll disregard it since they're pretty obvious, some other codes are pretty much complicated though.

Agree with this. You can't make that monster universal synchro material monster because synchro material are strictly using monster on monster zone as material. So, except if you modify the core's synchro procedure... you mostlikely won't be able to do that.
So the closest way is as what MLD said before. Make that guy able to search material from s/t zone. even though you can't just take Charon's effect and hope the effect works directly tho.

Test
DeusEverto  
#11 Posted : Saturday, March 07, 2015 11:44:24 AM(UTC)
DeusEverto

Okay, so I was trying to make the script for my CB monster, and I looked at Cyber Magician and Amber Mammoth for both parts. I'm not sure if I got it down, but I copied the parts from both, except I can't figure out how to remove the condition of "for the Synchro Summon of a "____" Monster." I know how to change the SetCode and stuff, but I don't know where that part of the effect comes from.

Just need a push in the right direction, this is the script I have. Don't know if it's any good or not, please take a look.

EDIT: I took down the quote and am attaching the .lua. I did edit the code and it's treated as a Crystal Beast Tuner now, but I can't seem to get the effect to work yet. Can someone help me?

Edited by user Saturday, March 07, 2015 12:17:52 PM(UTC)  | Reason: changed stuff

File Attachment(s):
c72267111.lua (3kb) downloaded 7 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Michael Lawrence Dee  
#12 Posted : Saturday, March 07, 2015 12:20:53 PM(UTC)
Michael Lawrence Dee

It's all trial and error. Remember this. When I first scripted, every part I script, I test it out immediately. I'm extremely busy this weekend but I will try to remake your script.
Now this is how I play:
thanks 1 user thanked Michael Lawrence Dee for this useful post.
DeusEverto  
#13 Posted : Saturday, March 07, 2015 12:26:06 PM(UTC)
DeusEverto

It's all trial and error. Remember this. When I first scripted, every part I script, I test it out immediately. I'm extremely busy this weekend but I will try to remake your script.

Yeah, that's what I'm doing. It has the effect to send it to the S/T Zone, and it's a Crystal Beast Tuner, I just can't find how to get the Synchro Material effect. That's the only part left. Thanks for the help though.
Tea82  
#14 Posted : Saturday, March 14, 2015 12:39:07 PM(UTC)
Tea82

Was thanked: 325 time(s) in 246 post(s)
Very interesting tutorial Michael Lawrence Dee!!:thup Also i recommended for beginner users to visit this site https://www.youtube.com/...ikkYlJTUUPFIZG4VyBSTp7Cz Here someone can find a list of tutorial videos about custom cards!!;) Actually Michael Lawrence Dee i was thinking if it was better to use acrobat files for your tutorials!!:) Also the very beginner users even with this tutorial i am afraid they still have some problems so i think it was very good idea also to add script examples, videos and ecxersices in order to give them the opportunity to experiment their first script lua files with a more easy and faster way!!;) Anyway good luck with this tutorial!!:laugh Like you already say script lua files have so many thinks to learn and discover yet even for the users who have extreme good knowledge about the lua language and yes the copy-paste so far is still the simply and the most easy and faster way to make some kind of script lua files for effect monsters!!:laugh :P

Edited by user Saturday, March 14, 2015 12:40:16 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked Tea82 for this useful post.
urielkama  
#15 Posted : Saturday, March 14, 2015 1:42:58 PM(UTC)
urielkama

Originally Posted by: Tea82 Go to Quoted Post
Very interesting tutorial Michael Lawrence Dee!!:thup Also i recommended for beginner users to visit this site https://www.youtube.com/...ikkYlJTUUPFIZG4VyBSTp7Cz Here someone can find a list of tutorial videos about custom cards!!;) Actually Michael Lawrence Dee i was thinking if it was better to use acrobat files for your tutorials!!:) Also the very beginner users even with this tutorial i am afraid they still have some problems so i think it was very good idea also to add script examples, videos and ecxersices in order to give them the opportunity to experiment their first script lua files with a more easy and faster way!!;) Anyway good luck with this tutorial!!:laugh Like you already say script lua files have so many thinks to learn and discover yet even for the users who have extreme good knowledge about the lua language and yes the copy-paste so far is still the simply and the most easy and faster way to make some kind of script lua files for effect monsters!!:laugh :P

i totally agree with you, just mentioned and not 100% sure cause its been awhile ago, that outlaw another user from here also wanted to start a scripting tutorial too, maybe Michael and outlaw could work both on this further and share some expiriences so far. But not 100% sure since outlaw wasnt active so long :).
Michael Lawrence Dee  
#16 Posted : Sunday, March 15, 2015 1:51:14 AM(UTC)
Michael Lawrence Dee

Ok. I updated the legit effect combinations. May I just request those who replied with effect requests or clarifications of effects that I have not yet posted within the tutorial to please delete them. Tea and urielkama, don't delete your replies, they're more of informations.

EDIT: Instead, I'll specify the ones to delete.
Post #6 by Athenawhisper
Post #9 by DeusEverto
Post #11 by DeusEverto
Post #13 by DeusEverto
If you need help scripting, post a separate topic.

Edited by user Sunday, April 12, 2015 1:51:22 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Now this is how I play:
urielkama  
#17 Posted : Sunday, March 15, 2015 9:43:12 AM(UTC)
urielkama

Originally Posted by: Arvine Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: DeusEverto Go to Quoted Post

Sadly, the first effect is pretty impossible. Although you can replace it like:
When using this card as an Synchro Material Monster, you can use a "Crystal Beast" Monster treated as a Continuous Spell as the Synchro Material. I've modified T.G. Cyber Magician before to create Hellfire Boatwatcher, Ghost Charon (Anime) so you can Synchro Summon with monsters in the Graveyard.

constants.lua contains everything but it's hard to explain all of them. Are there any questions in the categories? If not, maybe I'll disregard it since they're pretty obvious, some other codes are pretty much complicated though.

Agree with this. You can't make that monster universal synchro material monster because synchro material are strictly using monster on monster zone as material. So, except if you modify the core's synchro procedure... you mostlikely won't be able to do that.
So the closest way is as what MLD said before. Make that guy able to search material from s/t zone. even though you can't just take Charon's effect and hope the effect works directly tho.

Test

you can modify a bit the summon procedure under utility.lua where all procedures are listened, but dont know how far it goes, i think to modify the engine and core mechanics would be there better, so card types like pendulum fusion, pendulum synchro and pendulum Xyz are possible xD.

Edited by user Sunday, March 15, 2015 9:43:52 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Arvine  
#18 Posted : Thursday, March 19, 2015 11:41:00 AM(UTC)
Arvine

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Ok. I updated the legit effect combinations. May I just request those who replied with effect requests or clarifications of effects that I have not yet posted within the tutorial to please delete them. Tea and urielkama, don't delete your replies, they're more of informations.

EDIT: Instead, I'll specify the ones to delete.
Post #6 by Athenawhisper
Post #9 by Arvine
Post #10 by DeusEverto
Post #11 by Arvine
Post #12 by DeusEverto
Post #14 by DeusEverto
If you need help scripting, post a separate topic.

deleted mine :thup
thanks 1 user thanked Arvine for this useful post.
Michael Lawrence Dee  
#19 Posted : Sunday, April 12, 2015 5:34:22 PM(UTC)
Michael Lawrence Dee

*phew* that was tiring. I made an update but instead of Scripting, I edited the very top of my post so people can learn the basics with SQLite. This is quite necesseary since Jackmoonward's Tutorial is quite outdated.
Now this is how I play:
MVPIII  
#20 Posted : Tuesday, May 26, 2015 6:29:07 PM(UTC)
MVPIII

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 22 post(s)
Very interesting, I had no idea pendulums with different left and right scales were possible as I just copied preexisting cards for their card levels and scales. Personally I don't like how hex is kind of being forced down our throats, I'm just going to keep my own little cheat sheet for decimal values.