YGOPRO Forum

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
6 Pages«<456
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Dr. Sexy M.D.  
#101 Posted : Saturday, November 11, 2017 8:57:28 AM(UTC)
Dr. Sexy M.D.

United States

Was thanked: 71 time(s) in 55 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ColdPhoenix Go to Quoted Post
I like the new cards. Nice artwork and cool play style. They are also quite powerful.

Thanks. I really like how they play too. If you can negate and destroy their initial play starters they lose pretty hard, though. I think they'll be a bit less powerful under the New Master Rules, but we'll see.

I'm making link monsters for most of the "good" archetypes I have listed on the front page, so Dragoscendent will be getting one somewhat soon, hopefully. I think the current effect I have designed for the Dragoscendent link is a bit too strong, but I'll play around with it. I'm also adding new support cards (aside from the link monsters) to a few of the archetypes that I felt needed it (or to which I just wanted to give support). Currently that includes one new Spell/Trap card for Seafarers and a few new cards for Witchcrafters and Requipped. The list of all the archetypes getting a link monster (as of now) is: Seafarer, Requipped, Mystic Fauna, Psyber, Witchcrafter, Glade, and Dragoscendent. Dinoriders don't need one because they're normal pendulums, so Rescue Rabbit and Hampster should work well enough in combination with Metalfoes Electrum to make up for the restrictions of the New Master Rules (esp. since they get attached as materials and thusly sent to the grave frequently anyway). The only archetype that could use one but isn't on the list right now is Legendary Wyrm, but tbh I was looking at those cards recently and just couldn't figure out how I was supposed to play them. When I made them I certainly knew how they played, but none of the main-deck cards search Poly or anything. Maybe I'll give them a link, but dear lord do they need help.

I also have to update every synchro monster to the new summoning condition format (otherwise they'll be unsummonable) and update every card that targets (or otherwise affects) a card in the Pendulum Zone (because the old method of using c:GetSequence==6 or c:GetSequence==7 doesn't work anymore). I'll probably also fix lots of "then" affects that don't have Duel.BreakEffect() (which is what designates them in the code as "then" effects), because I'm pretty sure that lots of my cards don't have that when they should. I'll also go through and fix some of the PSCT on cards, because, while it's generally pretty readable, some of it is not very good, so I'll be fixing that. Finally, I'm going to re-balance Mystic Fauna Jaglider, because dear lord is that thing broken. I may also rebalance some other things, but idk.

How quickly I get this update done depends on how much school work I have (it's looking like I'll have a decent amount for the next week or so, so it'll probably be a few weeks, especially due to the scale of updating the effects and PSCT for a large amount of cards). When I post this update I'll also add sample decklists as ydk files for all of the updates archetypes. Maybe I'll post some replays of me playing the deck.

tl;dr: Seafarer, Requipped, Mystic Fauna, Psyber, Witchcrafter, Glade, and Dragoscendent are getting links. Seafarers, Requipped, and Witchcrafter are getting additional support (because Witchcrafter haven't gotten enough already /s). I have to update a bunch of stuff for it to work in the beta version of Percy, and when I do I'm going to fix PSCT errors and effect timing bugs, as well as rebalance a couple things. It'll probably be a few weeks, but it'll happen. Main post will also be updated.
thanks 1 user thanked Dr. Sexy M.D. for this useful post.
ColdPhoenix  
#102 Posted : Monday, November 13, 2017 10:38:25 PM(UTC)
ColdPhoenix

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Thank you for your continued work and, of course, take your time. I look forward to the updates.
Dr. Sexy M.D.  
#103 Posted : Thursday, November 23, 2017 1:50:18 AM(UTC)
Dr. Sexy M.D.

United States

New update. This time I bring link support for Witchcrafters and Requipped. Everything else will come at a later date.

Welcome to Consistency the Update. The support for both of these archetypes aims to improve their consistency greatly.

Requipped Arms - Summoning Tome allows any Requipped monster to get you an Xyz if you pull it from the deck using the ability to Requip. This turns many of the brickier monsters that don't directly special summon monsters into cards that can make plays by themselves. Requipped Trisha also improves consistency by allowing you to make your xyz/link easier. The other Requipped Arms cards in this updated will hopefully help the deck defensively when you go first. The ability to Requip means that you can basically pick which column to put Whip Sword in, so its column restriction isn't too hampering to its effect. The Noble Knight link got announced today, and it's made the Requipped link largely unnecessary, since it's arguably better for the deck. I already had the Requipped link done, though, so here it is.

Master Rule 4 hit Witchcrafters especially hard since they put a large focus on destroying their own pendulum cards. Additionally, I thought that they ran out of resources really quickly, since many of their effects require destroying pendulum cards and are a 1-for-1 trade, not necessarily giving you a pendulum card. To fix this, I've added Descent from the Witchcrafter's Manor. It places 2 cards from your deck directly in your pendulum zones. This should help mitigate the significant cost of playing a pendulum deck, since giving up to of your cards to the pendulum zones is fairly crippling when you've only got a 5-card hand. If the Witchcrafter main deck monsters plussed off of destruction or had worthwhile pendulum effects this wouldn't necessarily be a problem, but for the most part they don't, so this is the solution. It also helps you un-brick your hand with Rank-Up-Magics if that's a problem. I think the un-bricking effect might be a bit OP with in combination with another of their new cards, Gift to the Witchcrafter, since it turns that card into a straight-up draw 3 (and it's +1, at that). I wanted Gift to the Witchcrafter to populate your hand with Rank-Up-Magics to allow you to rank-up in hands where you don't draw very many RUMs, but I think it's a bit to strong. We'll see. At the very least I think I'll add a "You can't SS monsters during the turn you activate this card, except 'Witchcrafter' monsters" clause. Gift's grave effect is designed to help you if you lose an Xyz that was stacked by Rank-Ups and now your extra deck is empty.

Witchcrafters Teatime is good for obvious reasons. Allows you to search out any Witchcrafter card, including the field and spell cards. Then it lets you SS from your hand without using your Pendulum Summon, which lets you link summon easier. On this note, the link monsters more than compensate for Master Rule 4. Stacy gives you a second Pendulum Summon, which allows you to recover her materials, and Lulu protects your cards while bringing your total zone count to 3 (if you also have Stacy). Tea actually lets you get out Stacy without using your Pendulum Summon, meaning you get 2 Pendulum Summons to do with what you wish. The new Xyz monsters are kinda just for-fun, but I think Leila is better than their current r5nk option, and Selena has a *very* powerful spin effect if you can manage to get her with 12 materials. The new RUMs are mainly to give you new options, but some of them are very strong. Lunar Force is pretty much Witchcrafter Force but it sets a monster instead of banishing it. Flare Force is a quick-play that helps increase your Xyz Material count. Recurrent Force helps you continue ranking up by searching or recovering a RUM. Chain Force is probably the most interesting one. It's essentially a double/triple rank-up, but it lets you copy the effect of a RUM in the grave, so you can get Recurrent Force's search twice or Witchcrafter Force's banish twice in one turn. For this reason, I restricted this one to Once Per Duel.

I also went through and fixed the PSCT on some of the older Witchcrafter and Requipped cards. I change a few Whens to Ifs on some of the Witchcrafter Xyz because I thought it was too restricting when they could miss timing. I changed some cards that said they targeted but didn't target in the script to make it so they did and vice versa. I also made many of the "then" effects cause timing to miss, because when I made the Witchcrafters the first time I didn't know how to do that, so cards that should've caused timing to miss didn't. Additionally, I changed everything that previously destroyed as a cost (I believe the Requipped Xyz did this) to make it so that it destroys as an effect now, since destruction as a cost doesn't actually happen in the official card game. Most things should be working fine now.

I changed the main post to inform you of which sets are currently using outdated functions and thusly can't be used in Ygopro with Links. Pretty much it's every Pendulum and Synchro archetype. Additionally, I added sample decklists to use as a jumping off point. In the future I might add replay videos for some of the archetypes.

So, let me know what you guys think. Balance-wise I'm particularly concerned about Gift to the Witchcrafter being such a strong plus in combination with Descent from the Witchcrafter's Manor. I might make Gift add only 2 cards instead of 3. You don't really need 3 if you add Recurrent Force and Chain Force anyway, since that's 2 additional RUMs right there. I'll leave it as-is for now, but I'll probably change it in the next update. Anyway, have fun with the update. The other archetypes have significantly less new support cards (for now), so they shouldn't take too long. The longest part is fixing the PSCT and effects that have errors.
Dr. Sexy M.D.  
#104 Posted : Thursday, December 21, 2017 8:03:11 AM(UTC)
Dr. Sexy M.D.

United States

Well, I've finally finished all the link support for my archetypes, as well as updated all the synchro and pendulum themes under the "archetypes I like a lot" so that they work will the Link update (consequently I do not think they will work with the pre-Link update any longer).

I added support for Psyber, Dragoscendent, Mystic Fauna, Glade, and Seafarer. The Psyber one is the most passive, but Psybers were already incredibly explosive and tbh probably didn't need a link due to their ability to "tag out" into other fusions. Also its destruction-prevention effect is incredibly powerful for the deck if it goes off. The Mystic Fauna one is the most explosive, by-far. I think I'll probably tone it down. I'm planning to rebalance lots of the Mystic Fauna extra deck cards, so when I do that I'll probably remove the effect to SS from the Graveyard. It's largely unnecessary anyway. I got a field of 3 Xyz without even using it essentially only using Obedience Schooled and a Terrier in my hand (Obedience Schooled is pretty stupid in that deck). The Glade link is designed to help you pull off plays more consistently by letting you flip more monsters face-up, since they were still having a problem with that. It doesn't help you with your opening plays, but once you get it out you should be able to semi-reliably get out an Xyz. Additionally, its attack-gain effect is designed to help offset the archetype's relatively low ATK, and its send-link-to-grave effect is to help you get around the fact that you can't set links, meaning Forested Sprite can't destroy them.

Seafarers got the most support. The field is supposed to help with the fact that they're constantly running out of S/T cards to proc their effects with. They probably didn't need the other new S/T card also, but there it is. Initially the field was much more OP than it currently is (somehow), but it's still stupidly strong. I might add the "But you cannot activate it this turn" clause to every one of its effects. We'll see. Either way, they should be much more consistent now.

Dragoscendent also got more than 1 support card. Their link is a link 3 because they need the 3 zones, but it compensates for the heavy material cost by recovering some of the materials used. I really like to get it out using a synchro monster (preferably Caeli) and 2 non-synchros, that way you can SS back the synchro to a non-linked zone and add the other back to your hand (Umbra, if you're lucky, which will let you proc its effect). Dragoscendents still have somewhat of a consistency issue and an issue with being stopped early, so I don't think this link is too OP. Additionally, I added a new spell card to help with their consistency problems (because I found the biggest problem with the deck was that, for one, there weren't enough cards to fill out the deck, and for another, you could easily be stuck with several copies of Dragon's Valley or Dragoscendent Pair, which leaves some of them unusable (since they're HOPT)). Dragoscendent Hatching lets you stack the top 3 cards of your deck with Dragoscendent monsters, then its grave effect lets you put everything in your hand except Dragoscendent monsters on the bottom of the deck, drawing an equal number of cards. This should help de-brick by letting you draw up to 3 cards of your choosing. It may conflict with combo-deck strategies, though (or maybe it'll help them). I really like the Invoked/Dragoscendent combo. It works so well since Dragoscendent monsters can't be used for a synchro/xyz summon (except for a Dragoscendent monster), but they can be used for a fusion/link summon, so you can use them for both the Invoked fusions and the new Invoked link. Tbh I didn't have the combo in mind when I restricted them to only synchro and xyz, but it works out very nicely, doesn't it?

In terms of updates for old cards: Many old Witchcrafter cards had their activation conditions redone to be more accurate. I believe I did the same thing to many Dragoscendent cards. I also did a couple bugfixes to Glade cards. Additionally, I did end up toning down Gift to the Witchcrafter, so it only searches 2 RUMs now. If you search Recurrent Force and Chain Force those will search another 2 RUMs, though, so it basically searches 4 (assuming you can resolve them all). I also changed Dragoscendent Ruler Malum's shuffle effect from a quick effect to an ignition effect. A non-targeting shuffle quick effect is way too strong. Next-up on the rebalance list I want to tone down the Mystic Fauna Xyz monsters (since Jaglider and Hippogrif are wildly over-powered) and will probably remove Beastgle's SS from grave effect (as was previously stated) depending on testing. I am also going to go through and re-do many of the Seafarers, since they are fairly glitchy, don't have proper PSCT on a few of them, and their code doesn't line up with the PSCT sometimes. At this time I'll probably make the new Spell (not the field) a "you can only use one of these effects per turn, and only once that turn"-style card. This will all happen eventually (probably in the update after the next one).

I'm very excited for the next archetype I'm working on. They're a Machine-type Link deck. Now, Link Summoning is very hard to make work because it requires generating extreme advantage, something that doesn't really mesh with decks that have HOPTs on every card (hence why many old decks had trouble adapting to links). But decks without HOPTs are only balanced if they're inconsistent, can't generate resources, or have weak effects (hence why SPYRALS were so OP but Fableds aren't). To counter this, my new theme is using Counters as a cost mechanic to balance the deck instead of using HOPTs. If effects aren't free then it doesn't matter if you can use them more than once. I should be able to balance them just by adjusting counter-cost, so that's also very convenient. Anyway, I'm very excited for this theme.

In conclusion, there's new cards. Hopefully they'll help the archetypes they're a part of catch up in link era. I hope you enjoy them. Let me know what you think and if you find any bugs.

Edit: Oh, I also updated the main post to have more sample decklists. Necromantic are the only one under the "archetypes I like" heading that don't have one now, iirc. Dragoscendent have a pure variant and an Invoked variant.

Edited by user Thursday, December 21, 2017 10:41:06 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked Dr. Sexy M.D. for this useful post.
ColdPhoenix  
#105 Posted : Friday, December 22, 2017 5:32:34 PM(UTC)
ColdPhoenix

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Thank you!
Dr. Sexy M.D.  
#106 Posted : Friday, January 05, 2018 4:21:44 PM(UTC)
Dr. Sexy M.D.

United States

So, I've concluded that Link decks require generating significant advantage, much greater than anything any other summoning method has required (maybe Xyz is marginally comparable, since they keep their materials, meaning you really can't spam them without generating lots of advantage, but Link decks still require a lot more). This doesn't really mesh with the way Konami has traditionally balanced decks recently, that being using hard once per turns on effects. If you can only use your effects once then there's no way you can get out the 12 monsters required to make 3 link 4s. This is why most series 9 decks have had so much trouble adapting to the New Master Rules. This is also why Firewall Dragon is so important for link decks. He's a non-HOPT method of getting out monsters. I always call him "the Hyper Librarian of links."

Anyway, my point is that you can't follow the traditional way of balancing that they've been using for a few years now. SPYRALS proved that if you don't follow it and put no cap on your effects, then the archetype becomes devastatingly powerful. To counter this, I've given my new archetype, the Mechanoclast, strong, advantage-generating effects, but limited them by using counters as a cost to activate them. The counters are placed on the archetypal field spell. I added a link 1 that searches it, thus providing a consistent way of getting it, since the entire deck is reliant on the field spell. Once on the field, the field spell will protect itself fairly well. Anyway, all of the deck's monsters can place themselves from the hand face-up in the Spell/Trap zone as continuous spells, and when they do, counters get placed on the field equal to the number of monsters in the S/T zone. This means that when you place a fifth card in your S/T zone, you get 5 counters, but the first monster you place in the S/T zone only places one counter. This offers some interesting interactions with some of the links, allowing for you to generate lots of counters if you play it right.

The counters serve as a cost system, allowing cards to be non-once-per-turn and still be limited, preventing you from continuing your plays forever. In addition, the deck is severely limited by the amount of hand-advantage it can generate. Once placed in the S/T zone, unless special summoned by the effect of another monster, the cards are largely useless, meaning that how long you can continue your plays is largely limited by how you manage your hand-advantage to counter ratio. You want to place as many counters as possible, but if you use up your whole hand doing so then you can't do anything, especially since there are only 5 main monster zones. Since all of the main effects of the monsters go off when they are summoned, once you fill up your MMZ, if you do not have another monster in your hand then your turn is likely over. I actually think the game is desperately in need of a cost system similar to this built into it (not contingent on having a field spell, but instead a general point pool you can access and put into). I highly doubt this will ever happen, but I think it's what links need to be balanced and actually be viable without having to rely solely on Firewall Dragon. That idea was the inspiration for this archetype. Hopefully it serves as a sort-of proof of concept for the idea of alt-cost systems for balancing link decks. I really hope Konami starts doing something similar to this with future link decks.

Anyway, I don't think this archetype is too broken. I haven't tested it extensively using a 5-card opening hand, but the significant advantage investment required to generate a decent amount of counters means that it should be somewhat difficult to pull off never-ending plays. The restrictions I put on summoning from the extra deck also basically limits you to this archetype at the moment, and most of the monsters focus on being strong and protecting themselves rather than doing anything particularly broken during the opponent's turn, so I think they should be fine.

A couple tips: While I didn't expect this on initial formulation of the archetype, I've found that Quadruped Mk I, which SS a monster from the S/T zone, is probably the most key playmaker for your opening play. Additionally, bringing out Mechanoclast Scout with as many cards still in the S/T zone as possible is key to extending your plays, since he's one of the only ways to generate additional hand advantage, and the advantage he generates is significant. Mechanoclast Behemoth and Mechanoclast Power Walker are very helpful in this endeavor, since they will beef up your S/T zone using monsters you've already summoned. They won't give you any counters, but they'll count for the search with Scout. Related to that, if you have a monster in your hand that you want to place in your S/T zone to get counters, consider summoning Behemoth first if you already have monsters on the field. You will get 2 additional counters for the same amount of loss of hand advantage if you do this. Finally, try using the effect of Mechanoclast World Devastator or World Legacy Inheritor to revive a high-rating link monster. If you revive a high-rating monster then you won't need to SS as many monsters to go for an even higher one, since you've increased the overall rating on your field by that much (e.g. summon a World Devastator from grave. Now if you want to make Ultimate Artillery you only need 2 more monsters, meaning you only needed to summon 3 monsters to make it, instead of the usual 6).

I'm sure I haven't even begun to explore the combos you can do with this deck yet, though. There's so much to do, and between playing the cards in the S/T zone and summoning a million monsters to go for as many link summons as possible, I've found that turns take much longer than the 180 seconds allotted by default. I know that this will upset some people, so sorry, but idk if there's anything else you can do when you're talking about a link spam deck. I also kinda like decks that have really long turns, so I kinda like it better this way anyway.

All that aside, I hope you like the deck. Let me know if you think it's too broken or if there are any bugs that need to be fixed. This deck should be fairly easy to rebalance since I can just adjust the counter costs of effects. I uploaded a sample decklist for Mechanoclast to the main post. Next I might be fixing the psct (and thusly scripted) errors with the Seafarers, but I might also just make a new theme. I haven't had a new Pendulum theme for a really long time (I've done expansions, but not new themes), so maybe I'll make a Pendulum theme. Who knows? Anyway, have fun.

Edited by user Friday, January 05, 2018 4:23:19 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Seirachan  
#107 Posted : Monday, January 08, 2018 2:41:03 AM(UTC)
Seirachan

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Quite a good job, they have a very interesting gameplays and tactics
I love this, thanks for your work
Love is a wonderful thing~
Dr. Sexy M.D.  
#108 Posted : Monday, January 08, 2018 7:09:42 PM(UTC)
Dr. Sexy M.D.

United States

Originally Posted by: ColdPhoenix Go to Quoted Post
Thank you!

You're welcome!

Originally Posted by: Seirachan Go to Quoted Post
Quite a good job, they have a very interesting gameplays and tactics
I love this, thanks for your work

Thanks! Also, you're welcome.

I'm thinking of making my next archetype a Link deck too, and I've got another really interesting (hopefully) gameplay gimmick in mind for it. Hopefully it'll be fun and out relatively soon. College starts up again for me very soon, though, so we'll see.