YGOPRO Forum

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Utso  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 08, 2016 12:40:35 PM(UTC)
Utso

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 21 post(s)
Last update: 2019-01-11 (New Rahi released)
Target YGOPro version: 1.033.D
YouTube Channel
GitHub

The short version:
Swedish toy robots meet chinese cartoon card games.
Full download
Includes:
  • Expansion "Coming of the Toa" (60 cards)
  • Expansion "Challenge of the Rahi"(60 cards)
  • Readme with instructions
  • Sample decks for both expansions

Does not include partial release of expansion "Beware the Swarm". Downloads for that, as well as separate downloads for each individual released expansion, can be found below.

The long version:
A project to translate every part of the Bionicle universe into playable custom cards. If everything goes well, it might even get done before we all die of old age, but I'm not making any promises.

Not familiar with LEGO® BIONICLE® (so®®y) and it's ludicrously expansive universe? I'd still be happy if you could take a look and tell me what you think. Lore plays a big role in my design process, but you don't need to know the background behind each card to give useful feedback on things like fun gameplay and balance. If you're interested in finding out what the cards are supposed to represent, feel free to take a look at the Bionicle wiki, where you will find comprehensive information on just about everything. Just make sure you don't get lost in the rabbit hole.

Progress Overview
Organized by story year because that's the order I'm working in.

Released Cards
Coming of the Toa (60 cards):

Challenge of the Rahi (60 cards):

Beware the Swarm (partial, 34 cards):

Any feedback is greatly appreciated :)

Edited by user Friday, January 11, 2019 10:48:58 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Added new Rahi

thanks 1 user thanked Utso for this useful post.
MVPIII  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 08, 2016 5:36:08 PM(UTC)
MVPIII

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 20 post(s)
Nice to see migrate here from mackpro. For some feedback, I do have some. Golden Great kanohi's last effect is written as a trigger effect, but it doesn't start a chain. You're so presentable in your posts, I expect better PSCT from you :angry JK bro, it's just a prank :laugh

Another thing. How is it that you can activate the kanohi's last effects (the pay lp and switch equips one) when the requirement to equip any of them in the first place is that the monster cannot already be equipped with something? I mean, it works, it's just I'd like to know how you did it. I can check the scripts I suppose, but I'd probably get a better understanding if you told me. I will say this: Do a then do b effects happen simultaneously so the PSCT on that is wrong too. Not to be a PSCT Nazi or anything, some of my old cards are probably bad too. :blush

And a once per chain condition on the last effects also wouldn't hurt. Heck, once per turn per copy should be good enough as well, you could potentially have so many different equips in the graveyard at some point that you could cycle through all the ones you need in one turn anyways. At the least, it is kind of annoying when it tries to chain to itself and make the player waste LP. I think once per turn should also work anyways since after activation, the equip would go to the graveyard so the next time you bring it out, the limit would reset anyways since it's back on the field again.

Well I haven't done too much testing yet, so that's all the feedback I have for now. Hope this helps you a bit :thup
Utso  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 08, 2016 6:31:28 PM(UTC)
Utso

Originally Posted by: MVPIII Go to Quoted Post
Golden Great kanohi's last effect is written as a trigger effect, but it doesn't start a chain.

Thanks for pointing that out, seems like I didn't pay attention when I wrote it. I'll probably change the script and not the card text, but would the correct PSCT in that case just be having a comma instead of the colon?

Another thing. How is it that you can activate the kanohi's last effects (the pay lp and switch equips one) when the requirement to equip any of them in the first place is that the monster cannot already be equipped with something? I mean, it works, it's just I'd like to know how you did it. I can check the scripts I suppose, but I'd probably get a better understanding if you told me. I will say this: Do a then do b effects happen simultaneously so the PSCT on that is wrong too.

Is it? The Konami blog post (from 2012, so it might be outdated, but I don't think so) literally says:
Quote:
THEN: <Do A, then do B>
Timeline: B happens after A, even though they’re part of one card effect. These things happen in sequence, not simultaneously.

https://yugiohblog.konami.com/articles/?p=4514

Assuming this is correct, the answer is simple: By unequipping the old Kanohi before even starting to equip the new one, the condition never gets to be a problem.

And a once per chain condition on the last effects also wouldn't hurt. Heck, once per turn per copy should be good enough as well, you could potentially have so many different equips in the graveyard at some point that you could cycle through all the ones you need in one turn anyways. At the least, it is kind of annoying when it tries to chain to itself and make the player waste LP. I think once per turn should also work anyways since after activation, the equip would go to the graveyard so the next time you bring it out, the limit would reset anyways since it's back on the field again.

I agree that the self-chaining is annoying, but stopping it didn't seem worth an extra line in all the effects to me. Making them hard OPT is something I considered, but ultimately, it would make it too easy to kill your setup in an anticlimatic way (e.g. making you cycle through them all to dodge MSTs) if you have only a few Kanohi, while running more than a few wastes so much deckspace (remember, they're almost always dead) that you'll probably lose before collecting enough to avoid that kind of scenario.
Utso  
#4 Posted : Sunday, April 10, 2016 10:59:41 AM(UTC)
Utso

It's time for some progress! At this point, most of the cards in Challenge of the Rahi have advanced to the point where I only have a few small changes I might make here and there, so I figured I'd show off what I have so far. This is not quite a final release yet, so I'll just post the images without the usual comments. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

REALLY BIG Rahi:

Slightly smaller Rahi:

Even smaller Rahi:

really tiny Rahi:

Rahi support:

Makuta:

Unexpected Matoran support:

And whatever these are:

While most of this is going to stay the same for the proper release, anything could change if I think of some improvement. ATK and DEF values are just ballpark figures at the moment that will get a complete overhaul once I figure out a good method to calculate appropriate values. I also haven't proofread the effects or applied proper PSCT everywhere, so wording will probably change in many cases.
Code-wise, these are mostly functional (although some of the effects are not quite up-to-date with the latest changes to the cards), but have a few bugs and aren't refactored to comply with rulings 100%. I'll upload the expansion whenever it's ready, but in the meantime, here's a video of it:
salvadorc17  
#5 Posted : Sunday, April 10, 2016 7:42:45 PM(UTC)
salvadorc17

Was thanked: 164 time(s) in 98 post(s)
Interesting cards and the images also, keep it work up!!
Utso  
#6 Posted : Monday, April 11, 2016 8:20:36 PM(UTC)
Utso

Originally Posted by: salvadorc17 Go to Quoted Post
Interesting cards and the images also, keep it work up!!

Oh wow, someone actually praised the images! I try to use official promo pics for everything, but when there aren't any that look interesting, I just mess around with Gimp until something kind of acceptable comes out. :laugh
I'm particularly proud of those few new cards were I only had tiny little sprites from a GBA game to work with (Brakas/Daikau/Moa/Cliff Bug/Vatuka, but I guess you could already tell from all the pixels) and somehow made them look good just with upscaling and pretty backgrounds.
Utso  
#7 Posted : Sunday, April 23, 2017 5:25:10 PM(UTC)
Utso

Originally Posted by: Utso Go to Quoted Post
most of the cards in Challenge of the Rahi have advanced to the point where I only have a few small changes I might make here and there

He said, and then proceeded to make a bunch of huge changes.
It also took him an entire year for some reason.
He isn't making it seem like he knows what he is doing.

But whatever, at least it's finally done:
http://imgur.com/a/V3EhS

Like with the previous expansion, everything can be found in the Imgur gallery. Enjoy!
thanks 2 users thanked Utso for this useful post.
salvadorc17  
#8 Posted : Monday, April 24, 2017 7:42:10 PM(UTC)
salvadorc17

Was thanked: 164 time(s) in 98 post(s)
Good work, i really like the Pendulum and Synchro combo, will check it later.
razordrakegorz  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, April 25, 2017 1:56:11 PM(UTC)
razordrakegorz

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 22 post(s)
Awesome cards, I love the Bionicles and seing them in action in ygopro kinda brings a happy tear to my eye. Thanks for your hard work, you made at least one person happy with that :thup
Utso  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, April 25, 2017 7:27:18 PM(UTC)
Utso

Originally Posted by: salvadorc17 Go to Quoted Post
Good work, i really like the Pendulum and Synchro combo, will check it later.

I was really surprised by how smoothly those two mechanics ended up working together even without actual Pendulum tuners. The Fikou in particular was vastly more useful in making Pendulum -> Synchro plays than I had anticipated, despite needing additional recycling to use its effect more than twice per duel. Though that shouldn't really have surprised me knowing the awesome power of Glow-Up Bulb.

Originally Posted by: razordrakegorz Go to Quoted Post
Awesome cards, I love the Bionicles and seing them in action in ygopro kinda brings a happy tear to my eye. Thanks for your hard work, you made at least one person happy with that :thup

I really enjoy making these, so if they make other people happy as well, that's a whole lot of happiness being generated :laugh
Utso  
#11 Posted : Thursday, September 28, 2017 1:56:36 PM(UTC)
Utso

Ladies and Gentlemen, I had a brilliant idea. Instead of releasing a bunch of cards at once, vanishing from the face of the earth for years, and then reappearing to release another bunch of cards at once, I could just vanish for shorter lengths of time and release parts of the expansion as they get done. Unplanned interactions with future cards can always be accounted for through further updates, and it becomes much easier for people to read through and try out each release like this.

What, you say that's not particularly brilliant and just a fairly normal way of doing it? Well, it took me forever to figure out so it's clearly brilliant by my standards :P

Jokes about my idiocy aside, here's the first of these mini-updates for "Beware the Swarm", the upcoming third expansion. This one features everyone's favourite colorful balls of doom, the Bohrok.
Bohrok Tahnok Bohrok Nuhvok Bohrok Pahrak
Bohrok Gahlok Bohrok Kohrak Bohrok Lehvak

Download here, readme inside

As usual, I could go on and on about the various reasons why each card is what it is, but I think I'll save that for the final release and keep it at a quick overview here.

The Bohrok are swarms of insectoid machines with elemental powers stored deep beneath the island of Mata Nui. Once awakened, their mission is to completely destroy anything on the island to prepare for the Great Spirit's rising. Some of the keywords here that influenced my design:
  • "swarms" - All six Bohrok have a shared Flip effect that summons more of them. In addition, I avoided overly powerful effects that require a hard OPT, meaning the more you swarm the more you can spam effects.
  • "insectoid machines" - I normally decide the monster types for the biomechanical creatures of the Bionicle universe based on their non-mechanical parts and real-life inspirations, but this doesn't apply to the fully mechanical Bohrok. They're obviously Machine-Type.
  • "once awakened" - The awakening of the Bohrok is simulated by them being Flip monsters and summoning each other in face-down Defense Position.
  • "their mission is to completely destroy" - Each Bohrok's unique effect aims to destroy or otherwise remove cards from the field.

And just because I can't stop talking, here's what future updates will add in relation to this archetype:
  • S/T support - Obviously. These will probably be focused on searching and summoning Bohrok from various locations and protecting them while face-down so that you can reliably get the swarming started. Maybe some other things depending on what seems necessary during testing. Oh, and a fusion spell for ...
  • Bohrok Kaita - Two fusion boss monsters. As can be seen in the arrangement of the cards above, I've already taken the division into Kaita Ja (Tahnok + Nuhvok + Pahrak) and Kaita Za (Gahlok + Kohrak + Lehvak) into consideration when creating the component monsters. The Ja Bohrok focus on straightforward targeting destruction, while the Za Bohrok have more versatile, but also more restricted effects. There's also benefit to be had in mixing both groups, but this will make summoning the Kaita harder.
  • Krana - The organic "brains" of the Bohrok. They provide additional effects that allow for more strategy than "destroy everything" and also have the ability to steal opponent's monsters through battle with Bohrok (Bionicle villains really love the brainwashing stuff, huh?).
  • Bohrok Va - In short, S/T support turned monsters. They also help recycle Krana, and some or all of them will be Tuners for ...
  • Bahrag - The twin queens of the Bohrok are Synchro monsters and the deck's ultimate bosses. When you have both, they massively buff each other, and they also have effects to help bring the other out as quickly as possible.
  • Bohrok Va Kaita - Last on the list because I'm not sure what to do with them. This expansion is still designed around pre-Link rules because that's when I came up with all the ideas, but I'm thinking I could make the Va Kaita Link monsters so that the archetype can somewhat work with the new rules as well. On the other hand, that might not be possible without massively restructuring other parts of the expansion, in which case I'll scrap the idea and just make these support-ish fusions.

Utso  
#12 Posted : Thursday, December 14, 2017 5:43:48 PM(UTC)
Utso

Another arbitrary length of time, another update. This time, it's the 8 different types of Krana that control the Bohrok.

Krana Bo, Sentinel Krana Ja, ScoutKrana Yo, MoleKrana Za, Squad Leader
Krana Su, Worker Krana Ca, Clearance WorkerKrana Vu, SurveyorKrana Xa, Swarm Commander

Just like Kanohi in my first 2001 expansion, they function as equip cards that grant various abilities. But unlike Kanohi, Krana are organic creatures, so I made them monsters with equip effects rather than proper equip spells. Another important feature is that they can attach to beings other than Bohrok and forcibly make them part of the swarms, which is why all of them have another effect in the graveyard which lets you steal your opponent's monsters that are destroyed by Bohrok.

Those two abilities were the entirety of my original concept, but as I often tend to do, I forgot that deck space is limited. So when I realized that a Krana-centric deck would have you drawing Krana most of the time without reliably getting to the Bohrok they're supposed to work with, there needed to be another shared effect to fix it. My solution was this: Krana can return themselves to the hand from the monster zone to summon a Bohrok directly from the deck, but doing so skips from your Main Phase 1 directly to the end of the turn. It seems to work pretty well, and actually makes them being monsters useful in more ways than just added search options.

The downside is that the effect box is a bit cluttered now. I've been thinking about turning the monster stealing into a continuous effect on a different card (where banishing any Krana from the GY would be the activation cost), but I'm not sure if it would still be useful then. Do you guys think this sort of change could work or should I just leave it as is?

Edit: Forgot to mention that
  • the opening post of this thread has been revamped so there's more useful information
  • this update also fixes a bug where a Lehvak flipped face-down by an effect chained to its destruction effect would flip itself face-up again after destroying the target. Very useful on a Flip monster, but unfortunately not how it works.

Edited by user Friday, December 15, 2017 12:24:37 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Utso  
#13 Posted : Sunday, February 11, 2018 3:40:54 PM(UTC)
Utso

More stuff getting done, here's some Bohrok Va.
Bohrok Tahnok VaBohrok Nuhvok VaBohrok Pahrak Va
Bohrok Gahlok VaBohrok Kohrak VaBohrok Lehvak Va

And a first support spell card for the Bohrok archetype, because fetching a specific monster right when you need it is starting to become important.
Beware the Swarm

The core strength of the Bohrok Va is that you get to summon them for free if you have the corresponding Bohrok out already. They provide minor utility effects on the field, can be used as tuners, and let you add a banished Krana straight to your hand after going to the graveyard. In an ideal and actually not too uncommon scenario, you get to make use of all those abilities in a single turn, so they're pretty handy.

A downside is that the additional deck space required and the focus on specific Bohrok names make it harder to use many different breeds of Bohrok in one deck, but I've found that 2-3 is still a perfectly manageable number. It's particularly important that 3 still works, because that's how many are needed for Bohrok Kaita, the boss monsters that don't exist yet.

From a technical perspective, this release introduces something new: Expansion-specific utility functions, defined in util-bbts.lua. The large amount of reused effects between cards (which is totally an intentional commentary on the fact that Bohrok are clone sets and not at all because I'm lazy and uncreative :whist) was causing a lot of extra work, so I wanted to put them in a central script. But the list of non-card scripts that the program loads is hardcoded and there's no way to change it with a simple expansion, so I used the little trick of just having the cards themselves load the file when they need it.

So if a card is throwing some strange error about not finding a file (or simply doesn't work, if you have error messages turned off), that's probably the reason. Please leave a comment here if something like that happens so that I can figure out what's wrong and fix the issue before I do it wrong on more cards.
Utso  
#14 Posted : Thursday, March 08, 2018 2:00:52 PM(UTC)
Utso

Update A: I decided I should record some footage of my tests against the AI and upload it to keep my 3 Youtube subscribers entertained, almost immediately got a duel in which everything just went hilariously right. I present to you the current best-case scenario for a pure Bohrok deck:

Update B: As you can see in the above video, there's some new cards supporting the archetype.

Bohrok ConfrontationBohrok Nest
Bohrok InvasionIf You Wake One......You Wake Them All

This also includes bugfixes for Bohrok Lehvak Va (will no longer try to activate its negation against your own effects) and Beware the Swarm (no longer allows you to add non-monsters as the second card - actually relevant now that there are Bohrok S/T).

The next update will include Bohrok (Va) Kaita and Bahrag as the bosses for this archetype. Unfortunately, my current MSE template doesn't have what I need to make them, so I'll upgrade to a Series 10 template, which might lead to a bit of a delay (since I'll also need to adapt my MSE import tool).
Utso  
#15 Posted : Thursday, August 09, 2018 7:51:55 PM(UTC)
Utso

It's been a while, but after some busy months and a few much needed updates to the development process, there's some new cards ready to release. This time, the Bohrok family of archetypes will reach completion by receiving its boss monsters.

Bohrok (Va) Kaita

Bahrag

Aside from the new cards, I've also changed the equip effect of the Krana a bit because I forgot that they were supposed to work with the Kaita as well when I designed the first version. They can now equip to "Bohrok" higher than Level 4 as well, and their effects as equip cards are active when equipped to a "Bohrok" monster by any means, not just their own effect. The images in the expansion and the opening post have been updated to reflect this.

And one last thing before I go: My recreation of an official Bohrok promo video from 2002
Utso  
#16 Posted : Friday, January 11, 2019 10:50:53 AM(UTC)
Utso

Found some time once again, so let's have another little update. But this one isn't actually about Bohrok, but the various Rahi combiners that can be built from them. The various Rahi from 2001 already had their spotlight in the BCOR expansion, and these build on that, so it's recommended (but not technically required) that you install the latest version of BCOR as well if you want to try them out.

(New) Rahi

Since I'm adding to an already rather complete archetype and not building a new one here, the focus was less on making the new cards work with each other and more on properly capturing the sparse information available on these Rahi while sticking to the design constraints I established in BCOR. For a quick look at the lore the effects are based on, you can check this Imgur album. Can you tell how they fit together?

Also, the README now contains brief descriptions of the test decks because I figured that might be useful.