DragonOsman2
2014-09-22T21:52:51Z
I built this Deck on YGO Pro and wanted to ask for help on it. As you can tell from the title and the description, this is a Dark Magician Deck with The Eye of Timaeus and some Chaos support. I've tried this Deck in duels against AIs on YGO Pro, and of course I won each time (other than times where I messed up too much and had to choose to surrender) since I get the feeling that the computer doesn't duel very well. I need to duel against actual people (even though I'm afraid I'll lose - I almost never win; I get that I probably need a confidence boost since I'll definitely lose if I think like this, but I have too much prior experience for that).

I've tried to join pools for duels in Multiplayer mode, but it seems to require a password, so I couldn't do it.

I have two versions for this Deck; one for Traditional Format and the other for Advanced Format. The Traditional one only gets three cards added, though, so it's not all that different - I only add Dark Magician of Chaos, Dedication through Light and Darkness and Monster Reborn.

Here is the pic for the Deck: UserPostedImage

Deck List (42 cards):
Monster Cards (19):
Dark Magician x3
Sorcerer of Dark Magic
Black Luster Soldier - Envoy of the Beginning
Chaos Sorcerer
Dark Magician Girl x2
Skilled Dark Magician x2
Elemental HERO Prisma x3
Breaker the Magical Warrior
Tsukuyomi
Magician of Faith x2
Effect Veiler x2

Spell Cards (18):
The Eye of Timaeus x3
Dark Magic Attack
Sage's Stone x2
Dark Hole
Thousand Knives
Swords of Revealing Ligt
Monster Reincarnation
Mystical Space Typhoon
Magical Dimension x2
Burial from a Different Dimension
Spellbook of Wisdom x2
Wonder Wand x2

Trap Cards (5):
Mirror Force
Jar of Greed
Call of the Haunted
Dark Bribe
Destruction Jammer

Extra Deck (15):
Amulet Dragon
Dark Paladin x2
Dark Magician Girl the Dragon Knight x2
Stardust Dragon
Arcanite Magician
T.G. Hyper Librarian
Gaia Dragon, the Thunder Charger
Ebon Illusion Magician
Photon Strike Bounzer
Number C39: Utopia Ray
Number 39: Utopia
Daigusto Emeral x2

Side Deck (15):
Buster Blader x2
Chaos Sorcerer
Breaker the Magical Warrior
Tsukuyomi
Polymerization x2
Mystical Space Typhoon
Book of Moon
Spellbook of Wisdom
Jar of Greed x2
Compulsory Evacuation Device
Mirror Force
Solemn Warning

Okay, I need help with the Side Deck and what cards I should take out and/or put in, as well as what cards I should exchange from the Main Deck into the Side Deck when I feel like I need to.

And this is a Dark Magician Deck, primarily, so please don't ask me to reduce the number Dark Magician/Girl or Sage's Stone cards in here.

As for strategies, the Deck's main purpose is supposed to be to try establish some Field-Control with Sorcerer of Dark Magic and Dark Paladin ASAP, and also to try to get out Amulet Dragon and/or Dark Magician Girl the Dragon (I prefer either both or just Dark Magician Girl the Dragon Knight). I've got Destruction Jammer in there to protect my cards, mainly Dark Magician and his friends, so that they don't get destroyed prematurely or anything, as I need them on the field on the field long enough to do what I need to do with them.

If I were to trade out all of the Trap Cards in my Main Deck with three Royal Decrees, what should I do about Monster Effects that might destroy my important cards (which will be the only thing left for me to worry about with Traps locked and Dark Paladin stopping Spells as long as I have cards in my hand to discard)?
Crispoz
2014-09-23T11:27:51Z
Originally Posted by: DragonOsman2 

I built this Deck on YGO Pro and wanted to ask for help on it. As you can tell from the title and the description, this is a Dark Magician Deck with The Eye of Timaeus and some Chaos support. I've tried this Deck in duels against AIs on YGO Pro, and of course I won each time (other than times where I messed up too much and had to choose to surrender) since I get the feeling that the computer doesn't duel very well. I need to duel against actual people (even though I'm afraid I'll lose - I almost never win; I get that I probably need a confidence boost since I'll definitely lose if I think like this, but I have too much prior experience for that).

I've tried to join pools for duels in Multiplayer mode, but it seems to require a password, so I couldn't do it.

I have two versions for this Deck; one for Traditional Format and the other for Advanced Format. The Traditional one only gets three cards added, though, so it's not all that different - I only add Dark Magician of Chaos, Dedication through Light and Darkness and Monster Reborn.

Here is the pic for the Deck: UserPostedImage

Deck List (42 cards):
Monster Cards (19):
Dark Magician x3
Sorcerer of Dark Magic
Black Luster Soldier - Envoy of the Beginning
Chaos Sorcerer
Dark Magician Girl x2
Skilled Dark Magician x2
Elemental HERO Prisma x3
Breaker the Magical Warrior
Tsukuyomi
Magician of Faith x2
Effect Veiler x2

Spell Cards (18):
The Eye of Timaeus x3
Dark Magic Attack
Sage's Stone x2
Dark Hole
Thousand Knives
Swords of Revealing Ligt
Monster Reincarnation
Mystical Space Typhoon
Magical Dimension x2
Burial from a Different Dimension
Spellbook of Wisdom x2
Wonder Wand x2

Trap Cards (5):
Mirror Force
Jar of Greed
Call of the Haunted
Dark Bribe
Destruction Jammer

Extra Deck (15):
Amulet Dragon
Dark Paladin x2
Dark Magician Girl the Dragon Knight x2
Stardust Dragon
Arcanite Magician
T.G. Hyper Librarian
Gaia Dragon, the Thunder Charger
Ebon Illusion Magician
Photon Strike Bounzer
Number C39: Utopia Ray
Number 39: Utopia
Daigusto Emeral x2

Side Deck (15):
Buster Blader x2
Chaos Sorcerer
Breaker the Magical Warrior
Tsukuyomi
Polymerization x2
Mystical Space Typhoon
Book of Moon
Spellbook of Wisdom
Jar of Greed x2
Compulsory Evacuation Device
Mirror Force
Solemn Warning

Okay, I need help with the Side Deck and what cards I should take out and/or put in, as well as what cards I should exchange from the Main Deck into the Side Deck when I feel like I need to.

And this is a Dark Magician Deck, primarily, so please don't ask me to reduce the number Dark Magician/Girl or Sage's Stone cards in here.

As for strategies, the Deck's main purpose is supposed to be to try establish some Field-Control with Sorcerer of Dark Magic and Dark Paladin ASAP, and also to try to get out Amulet Dragon and/or Dark Magician Girl the Dragon (I prefer either both or just Dark Magician Girl the Dragon Knight). I've got Destruction Jammer in there to protect my cards, mainly Dark Magician and his friends, so that they don't get destroyed prematurely or anything, as I need them on the field on the field long enough to do what I need to do with them.

If I were to trade out all of the Trap Cards in my Main Deck with three Royal Decrees, what should I do about Monster Effects that might destroy my important cards (which will be the only thing left for me to worry about with Traps locked and Dark Paladin stopping Spells as long as I have cards in my hand to discard)?



Sage Stone isn't needed in any Dark Magician deck. Dark Magic Curtain is way better but not worth the LP cost. My deck runs a Spellbook engine + Temperance of Prophecy, it's a more consistent way to summon Dark Magician from the deck.

About summoning Dark Magician..

Prisma sends DM to the graveyard, Soul Charge and Emeral revive him.

If you run only 5 traps then just put Royal Decree instead of them, so you acheive the 40-card deck. If you run Royal Decree, then there is no need to use Sorcerer of Dark Magic. To stop monster effects, Forbidden Chalice is the main choice along with Effect Veiler. The former can be used in any moment and doesn't hurt much you since Dark Magician is a Normal Monster, the latter can't be MSTed and it's an unexpected card in this format.

Here's my deck, try it [:tongue:]
File Attachment(s):
Eye of Timaeus.ydk (1kb) downloaded 788 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
DragonOsman2
2014-09-23T13:17:44Z
Precisely because of the Life Point cost for using Dark Magic Curtain, and also because I've got two Dark Magician Girls in here, I just thought I should go with Sage's Stone instead. Besides, at least with Sage's Stone, I'd still be allowed to use Dark Magician to attack and I'd also be able to conduct other Special Summons in the same turn, whereas with Dark Magic Curtain I'd be able to do neither. So it's true what you said: It's not worth it.

And Soul Charge seems like a good idea, except for the "you lose 1000 Life Points for each monster Special Summoned by this effect" and the "You cannot conduct your Battle Phase the turn you activate this card" clauses. I guess it'd be kind of okay with the 1000 LP thing since I'd mostly only be using it for Dark Magician, but what if I wanted to attack on that turn?

But yeah, I'll with Royal Decree; good point there. And I'll try testing two Forbidden Chalice. I like the card, other than the fact that the opponent's monster I target will also gain 400 ATK.

How about the two of us have a duel at YGOPro, by the way? Right after I've done a few more AI duels.

Edit: Wait, rather than 2 Forbidden Chalice, I'll go with 1. And I know you didn't say anything about this, but I'll keep the two Spellbook of Wisdom since it's better than Forbidden Lance, IMO (other than the fact that it only works on Spellcasters).

Edit 2: Alright, I've tested out this build against an AI Dark World Deck in a Match just now; I lost the first duel but won the last two with it: UserPostedImage

What do you think? Any other fixes I could make? Help me out with the Side Deck, too; I couldn't figure out cards to switch out with the Side Deck so I just left it as it was both times I came to my Deck Window in between duels.
Crispoz
2014-09-23T21:48:19Z
Originally Posted by: DragonOsman2 

Precisely because of the Life Point cost for using Dark Magic Curtain, and also because I've got two Dark Magician Girls in here, I just thought I should go with Sage's Stone instead. Besides, at least with Sage's Stone, I'd still be allowed to use Dark Magician to attack and I'd also be able to conduct other Special Summons in the same turn, whereas with Dark Magic Curtain I'd be able to do neither. So it's true what you said: It's not worth it.

And Soul Charge seems like a good idea, except for the "you lose 1000 Life Points for each monster Special Summoned by this effect" and the "You cannot conduct your Battle Phase the turn you activate this card" clauses. I guess it'd be kind of okay with the 1000 LP thing since I'd mostly only be using it for Dark Magician, but what if I wanted to attack on that turn?

But yeah, I'll with Royal Decree; good point there. And I'll try testing two Forbidden Chalice. I like the card, other than the fact that the opponent's monster I target will also gain 400 ATK.

How about the two of us have a duel at YGOPro, by the way? Right after I've done a few more AI duels.

Edit: Wait, rather than 2 Forbidden Chalice, I'll go with 1. And I know you didn't say anything about this, but I'll keep the two Spellbook of Wisdom since it's better than Forbidden Lance, IMO (other than the fact that it only works on Spellcasters).

Edit 2: Alright, I've tested out this build against an AI Dark World Deck in a Match just now; I lost the first duel but won the last two with it: UserPostedImage

What do you think? Any other fixes I could make? Help me out with the Side Deck, too; I couldn't figure out cards to switch out with the Side Deck so I just left it as it was both times I came to my Deck Window in between duels.



Soul Charge, even with those drawbacks, is really broken. If you have 2 level 7 monsters in the graveyard, you revive them and overlay for Big Eye and steal the opponent's boss monster, Big Eye won't attack for his effect in the first place. Or you can just overlay for Dracossack in defense mode, summon 2 tokens and tribute one to destroy any card your opponent controls, in that case there's no need to do the battle phase since Dracossack can't attack during that turn.

Unfortunately, I don't duel online so often now, I'm really busy and the online doesn't work very well for me.

Wisdom is better than Lance because it's searchable by Spellbook of Secrets.

While Wisdom is searchable, Lance is literally 2 cards in one since it helps you running over some big monsters like Winda. If you want to use a Spellbook Engine, then Wisdom is better, but when you're not doing this, then Lance is better imo.

Try to keep the number of cards in your deck to 40. I'd remove the Chaos aspect of the deck because removing the dark monsters from your graveyard like DM hurts the strategy of the deck, and are very heavy in the hand if you cannot summon them. Dark Magician of Chaos is almost nothing without the very broken spells like Heavy Storm and Giant Trunade.

The side deck is what turns the table in a match. When you lose the first duel against a meta deck, if you put the right cards in the side, you can make an huge comeback if the opponent doesn't manage to find a sided card for your deck.

For the Side Deck, I'd put Soul Drain since there is no effect in your deck that activates in the graveyard.

3x Debunk is a must because it counters every meta deck, expecially Shaddolls. It's also a Counter Trap so it cannot be responded to, except by other counters.

I'd add Rivalry of the Warlords but you run Prisma. If you side in Rivalry and take out Prisma, your strategy will be hurt but the opponent will be killed. "It hurts me but kill you"

Nobleman of Crossout is nice against Shaddoll, Geargia and Hands.

Ally of Justice Cycle Reader is very strong against LIGHT decks like Lightsworns, Bujins and Satellarknights.

Chain Dispel is very good against Shaddolls and Qliphorts.

I cannot think about other side deck cards, maybe Thunder King Rai-Oh.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
DragonOsman2
2014-09-25T12:44:23Z
I guess you're right about Spellbook of Wisdom only being good because it's searchable by Spellbook of Secrets (and also Spellbook of Power, since that card also allows you to search out Spellbook Spell Cards), at least it doesn't weaken the very monster you're trying to protect, like Forbidden Lance does. And Forbidden Chalice strengthens my opponent's monster.

There was a time in one of my duels with the AI yesterday where I'd summoned Sorcerer of Dark Magic and, during its turn, it summoned Number 11: Big Eye and took control of Sorcerer of Dark Magic. Now think about this: if I had Forbidden Chalice at that time, and I'd activated it, what would have happened? Do I need to say more? When I say I need Spell/Trap Cards to negate my opponent's Monster Effects, that sort of thing is also included amongst the things I want to try to prevent.

I came across Dark Illusion, and was wondering if I should use it. Most of my best monsters are DARK, after all, Sorcerer of Dark Magic included. And if I should use it, about how many of it should I run? At least 2? Maybe 3? Or would it be good at just 1 or 2?

As for the Chaos aspect, it helps me banish pesky monsters my opponent has out, so I'd rather keep it. I wanted to keep Black Luster Soldier - Envoy of the Beginning, but I needed more Level 6 or higher Spellcasters to make summoning Sorcerer of Dark Magic easier, so I sadly had to take it out (and I like that card, too, for its effect of being able to attack more than once in the same Battle Phase if it destroys a monster by the first attack). I do also have Burial from a Different Dimension which I can use to get back my banished monsters, so all is not always lost (not completely, anyway), and besides, so far, I've never really had to banish the Dark Magician. I've banished Breaker, Skilled Dark Magician, or in some cases even Dark Magician Girl, but I managed to get them back, and so far I haven't had to banish Dark Magician himself yet that much, if at all. Even if I did, I was able to get it back with Burial.

By the way, speaking of Sorcerer of Dark Magic, do you think YGO Pro and other Virtual Dueling Platforms should allow us to summon him by just offering one Level 6 and one Level 7 Spellcaster-Type monster as Tributes? If we need two Spellcasters of the same Level, then doesn't it seem buggy (due to the the wording on the card itself, I think: " . . . 2 Level 6 or higher Spellcaster-Type monsters on your side of the field . . . ") that it lets us do that? That time yesterday was the second time I'd been able to do that (first time was when I was dueling on Dueling Network a few months back).

Edit: I also need cards that can negate effects that activate on the field and/or in the hand or Graveyard (cards for each type of effect, preferably).

As for what you said about Soul Drain, though, doesn't Effect Veiler's effect activate in the Graveyard? Or does the fact that you have to discard her mean it actually activates in your hand?
Crispoz
2014-09-25T19:02:53Z
Originally Posted by: DragonOsman2 

I guess you're right about Spellbook of Wisdom only being good because it's searchable by Spellbook of Secrets (and also Spellbook of Power, since that card also allows you to search out Spellbook Spell Cards), at least it doesn't weaken the very monster you're trying to protect, like Forbidden Lance does. And Forbidden Chalice strengthens my opponent's monster.

There was a time in one of my duels with the AI yesterday where I'd summoned Sorcerer of Dark Magic and, during its turn, it summoned Number 11: Big Eye and took control of Sorcerer of Dark Magic. Now think about this: if I had Forbidden Chalice at that time, and I'd activated it, what would have happened? Do I need to say more? When I say I need Spell/Trap Cards to negate my opponent's Monster Effects, that sort of thing is also included amongst the things I want to try to prevent.

I came across Dark Illusion, and was wondering if I should use it. Most of my best monsters are DARK, after all, Sorcerer of Dark Magic included. And if I should use it, about how many of it should I run? At least 2? Maybe 3? Or would it be good at just 1 or 2?

As for the Chaos aspect, it helps me banish pesky monsters my opponent has out, so I'd rather keep it. I wanted to keep Black Luster Soldier - Envoy of the Beginning, but I needed more Level 6 or higher Spellcasters to make summoning Sorcerer of Dark Magic easier, so I sadly had to take it out (and I like that card, too, for its effect of being able to attack more than once in the same Battle Phase if it destroys a monster by the first attack). I do also have Burial from a Different Dimension which I can use to get back my banished monsters, so all is not always lost (not completely, anyway), and besides, so far, I've never really had to banish the Dark Magician. I've banished Breaker, Skilled Dark Magician, or in some cases even Dark Magician Girl, but I managed to get them back, and so far I haven't had to banish Dark Magician himself yet that much, if at all. Even if I did, I was able to get it back with Burial.

By the way, speaking of Sorcerer of Dark Magic, do you think YGO Pro and other Virtual Dueling Platforms should allow us to summon him by just offering one Level 6 and one Level 7 Spellcaster-Type monster as Tributes? If we need two Spellcasters of the same Level, then doesn't it seem buggy (due to the the wording on the card itself, I think: " . . . 2 Level 6 or higher Spellcaster-Type monsters on your side of the field . . . ") that it lets us do that? That time yesterday was the second time I'd been able to do that (first time was when I was dueling on Dueling Network a few months back).

Edit: I also need cards that can negate effects that activate on the field and/or in the hand or Graveyard (cards for each type of effect, preferably).

As for what you said about Soul Drain, though, doesn't Effect Veiler's effect activate in the Graveyard? Or does the fact that you have to discard her mean it actually activates in your hand?



Well the 400 ATK gain isn't very important imo. The possibility to be destroyed by battle for that small gain is equal to that one time it won't happen. Anyway, I think Big Eye couldn't had the possibilty to attack because his effect was negated BUT the attack restriction would have remained, so it surely isn't the case. And it's better to have it destroyed by battle instead of giving that monster to the opponent for almost free.

If you don't want Forbidden Chalice you shoul either remove the 3 Royal Decrees and add 2 Breakthrough Skill/Fiendish Chain + other 6-8 staple traps like Solemn Warning, Bottomless, Torrential, Compulsory, Dimensional Prison, Wiretap, ecc. OR you can add another copy of Effect Veiler.

Sorcerer of Dark Magic shouldn't need 2 monsters of the same level, I think it just needs 2 monsters with an higher level than 6.

If you don't run BLS then don't run Chaos Sorcerer.

For Soul Drain: Veiler activates in the hand but since it isn't a cost (it says "then", not "for") the chain link created by the activation is still in the hand, so Soul Drain won't affect it.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Higuide
2014-09-25T21:38:16Z
if making a dark magician deck always 2-3 dark renewal
DragonOsman2
2014-09-26T00:12:08Z
Originally Posted by: Crispoz 

Originally Posted by: DragonOsman2 

I guess you're right about Spellbook of Wisdom only being good because it's searchable by Spellbook of Secrets (and also Spellbook of Power, since that card also allows you to search out Spellbook Spell Cards), at least it doesn't weaken the very monster you're trying to protect, like Forbidden Lance does. And Forbidden Chalice strengthens my opponent's monster.

There was a time in one of my duels with the AI yesterday where I'd summoned Sorcerer of Dark Magic and, during its turn, it summoned Number 11: Big Eye and took control of Sorcerer of Dark Magic. Now think about this: if I had Forbidden Chalice at that time, and I'd activated it, what would have happened? Do I need to say more? When I say I need Spell/Trap Cards to negate my opponent's Monster Effects, that sort of thing is also included amongst the things I want to try to prevent.

I came across Dark Illusion, and was wondering if I should use it. Most of my best monsters are DARK, after all, Sorcerer of Dark Magic included. And if I should use it, about how many of it should I run? At least 2? Maybe 3? Or would it be good at just 1 or 2?

As for the Chaos aspect, it helps me banish pesky monsters my opponent has out, so I'd rather keep it. I wanted to keep Black Luster Soldier - Envoy of the Beginning, but I needed more Level 6 or higher Spellcasters to make summoning Sorcerer of Dark Magic easier, so I sadly had to take it out (and I like that card, too, for its effect of being able to attack more than once in the same Battle Phase if it destroys a monster by the first attack). I do also have Burial from a Different Dimension which I can use to get back my banished monsters, so all is not always lost (not completely, anyway), and besides, so far, I've never really had to banish the Dark Magician. I've banished Breaker, Skilled Dark Magician, or in some cases even Dark Magician Girl, but I managed to get them back, and so far I haven't had to banish Dark Magician himself yet that much, if at all. Even if I did, I was able to get it back with Burial.

By the way, speaking of Sorcerer of Dark Magic, do you think YGO Pro and other Virtual Dueling Platforms should allow us to summon him by just offering one Level 6 and one Level 7 Spellcaster-Type monster as Tributes? If we need two Spellcasters of the same Level, then doesn't it seem buggy (due to the the wording on the card itself, I think: " . . . 2 Level 6 or higher Spellcaster-Type monsters on your side of the field . . . ") that it lets us do that? That time yesterday was the second time I'd been able to do that (first time was when I was dueling on Dueling Network a few months back).

Edit: I also need cards that can negate effects that activate on the field and/or in the hand or Graveyard (cards for each type of effect, preferably).

As for what you said about Soul Drain, though, doesn't Effect Veiler's effect activate in the Graveyard? Or does the fact that you have to discard her mean it actually activates in your hand?



Well the 400 ATK gain isn't very important imo. The possibility to be destroyed by battle for that small gain is equal to that one time it won't happen. Anyway, I think Big Eye couldn't had the possibilty to attack because his effect was negated BUT the attack restriction would have remained, so it surely isn't the case. And it's better to have it destroyed by battle instead of giving that monster to the opponent for almost free.

If you don't want Forbidden Chalice you shoul either remove the 3 Royal Decrees and add 2 Breakthrough Skill/Fiendish Chain + other 6-8 staple traps like Solemn Warning, Bottomless, Torrential, Compulsory, Dimensional Prison, Wiretap, ecc. OR you can add another copy of Effect Veiler.

Sorcerer of Dark Magic shouldn't need 2 monsters of the same level, I think it just needs 2 monsters with an higher level than 6.

If you don't run BLS then don't run Chaos Sorcerer.

For Soul Drain: Veiler activates in the hand but since it isn't a cost (it says "then", not "for") the chain link created by the activation is still in the hand, so Soul Drain won't affect it.



I'm running Black Luster Soldier - Envoy of the Beginning and Chaos Sorcerer, both. I was just getting a bit worried about Monster Card count.

I already don't have Royal Decree in there; I now have 1 Magician's Circle, 1 Call of the Haunted, 2 Dark Illusion, 1 Dark Bribe and 1 Destruction Jammer. I need to protect my cards, after all. Any of you find any of these cards unnecessary, I could take it out to put it in a Torrential Tribute or Bottomless Trap Hole. Speaking of Bottomless, by the way, can it be stopped by Destruction Jammer? Or does being removed from play not count as being destroyed?

If I want to add in Fiendish Chain or Breakthrough Skill, what Trap Card(s) should I take out? Maybe I should put them in the Side Deck rather than taking them out altogether, though. What do you think?

As for Sorcerer of Dark Magic, its Summoning Condition states that it requires 2 Level 6 or higher Spellcaster-Type monsters as Tributes, not 2 Spellcaster-Type monsters whose Levels are higher than 6. They are two very different things.

I'll post the latest Deck List. I still need help on the Side Deck, though, since even though I do kind of understand the concept behind them, I'm still a noob in that department, actually. I've pretty much never used a Side Deck before.

Anyway, I'm posting the List with Dark Magician of Chaos, Dedication through Light and Darkness, Pot of Greed and Monster Reborn in there - just note that when I take them out to play in Advanced Format, I also replace Pot of Greed with Allure of Darkness rather than just taking it out (it does suck that I have to banish a Dark Attribute monster from my hand or throw my whole hand into the Graveyard, but other than that it's good).

Anyway, List (47 cards):
Monsters (20):
Dark Magician x3
Sorcerer of Dark Magic
Black Luster Soldier - Envoy of the Beginning
Dark Magician of Chaos
Chaos Sorcerer
Dark Magician Girl x2
Skilled Dark Magician x2
Elemental HERO Prisma x3
Breaker the Magical Warrior
Tsukuyomi
Magician of Faith x2
Effect Veiler x2

Spells (20):
The Eye of Timaeus x3
Dark Magic Attack
Sage's Stone x2
Overlay Regen
Dark Hole
Port of Greed
Thousand Knives
Swords of Revealing Light
Monster Reborn
Mystical Space Typhoon
Magical Dimension x2
Burial from a Different Dimension
Dedication through Light and Darkness
Spellbook of Wisdom x2
Wonder Wand x2

Traps (7):
Magician's Circle
Call of the Haunted
Dark Illusion x2
Dark Bribe
Destruction Jammer

Extra Deck (15):
Amulet Dragon
Dark Paladin x2
Dark Magician Girl the Dragon Knight x2
Stardust Dragon
Arcanite Magician
Tempest Magician
Ebon Illusion Magician
Photon Strike Bounzer
Magi Magi ☆ Magician Gal
Number 39: Utopia
Steelswarm Roach
Daigusto Emeral x2

About Dark Renewal . . . I would've added it in if it were in the TCG; the only OCG-only card I want in there is Magi Magi * Magician Gal; Ebon Illusion Magician, according to YGO Pro's database, is also an OCG-only card, apparently, but isn't that card actually already in the TCG? Currently it's only available to winners of that competition being hosted Shonen Jump, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's not in the TCG at all, does it?

I'm in Saudi Arabia, so I'm hoping Ebon Illusion Magician becomes available for sale soon, and also, hopefully, they finally release Magi Magi * Magician Gal into the TCG as well. It's pretty cool that they've made Tournament Legal Xyz monster versions of the Dark Magician and the Dark Magician Girl, but it's not going to matter much if the people who really want them in their Decks can't get them.

And I may not have all of the cards IRL yet, but I do plan to make this whole Deck for real, in real life, too. Although I guess I could get the Japanese cards for the ones that are OCG-only cards, to use in unofficial duels, but yeah. [Doesn't matter to me much since I've never played in YGO Tournaments before, but I want to get the chance to play in an Official Tournament at some point.]

Edit: Before I forget; Higuide, what kind of Deck do you run? If it's a Meta or Top-Tier Deck, I'd like to try my Dark Magician Deck against it, so would you able to duel me on YGO Pro some time tomorrow? Host a duel and tell me the password to both the server and the duel itself, please (I don't know the password for any of the Servers, so I've only been able to duel against AI Decks so far).

Edit 2: I decided to take out Overlay Regen and put in Fiendish Chain instead. Let me know if it's a good or a bad decision. Thanks in advance.

Edit 3: I've made it a 42-card Deck in Advanced Format and a 45-card Deck in Traditional, now. I took out Dark Illusion, and I replaced Fiendish Chain with Breakthrough Skill. I also took out Spellbook of Wisdom and added in Forbidden Lance, and I put in three Forbidden Chalice in the Side Deck. And I also put in the Field Spell Chaos Zone in the Main Deck, to help out the Chaos aspect of the Deck.

The Traps are: Bottomless Trap Hole, Dimensional Prison, Breakthrough Skill, Debunk and Dark Bribe. Side Deck cards are: third Effect Veiler, three Forbidden Chalice, 1 Forbidden Lance, Mirror Force, 2 extra Breakthrough Skill, Compulsory Evacuation Device, 3 Fiendish Chain, 1 Soul Drain, and two extra Debunk.

Let me know, when you get the chance, if this is a good Side Deck, and also what cards I should switch them out with and when.

I'm also thinking of taking out Magi Magi Magician Gal and putting in a second Photon Strike Bounzer, as I get the feeling that, because of his effect, I might need more of him.
DragonOsman2
2014-09-28T00:27:59Z
Sorry for making a double-post (if this is a double-post - I saw someone else's name on the "online people" list down below and I guessed that maybe they'd also have posted by the time I submit this; anyway . . . ), but I wanted to have the post noticed and I couldn't think of any other way to accomplish that.

That being said, I wanted to post the latest Deck Image I've got from YGO Pro and wanted everyone's input on it. I still need help with the Side Deck, and I also need to make it able to stand upto Mermails and also Artifacts. It seems like it can beat Darkworlds and Toons easily under the best of conditions, though. Although that's just referrin to duels against that AI, Harute. I still need to duel against actual people, and I hope I get that chance soon.

Anyway, here's the pic: UserPostedImage

I hope everyone can tell what the cards are without me also posting a Deck List along with the pic. So yeah, I won't be making a List.
Crispoz
2014-09-28T19:32:06Z
Originally Posted by: DragonOsman2 

Sorry for making a double-post (if this is a double-post - I saw someone else's name on the "online people" list down below and I guessed that maybe they'd also have posted by the time I submit this; anyway . . . ), but I wanted to have the post noticed and I couldn't think of any other way to accomplish that.

That being said, I wanted to post the latest Deck Image I've got from YGO Pro and wanted everyone's input on it. I still need help with the Side Deck, and I also need to make it able to stand upto Mermails and also Artifacts. It seems like it can beat Darkworlds and Toons easily under the best of conditions, though. Although that's just referrin to duels against that AI, Harute. I still need to duel against actual people, and I hope I get that chance soon.

Anyway, here's the pic: UserPostedImage

I hope everyone can tell what the cards are without me also posting a Deck List along with the pic. So yeah, I won't be making a List.



I have some personal hints for you.

1) Consistency.

A deck's most common problem is consistency. The deck can have the most powerful play of the entire game, but if you cannot have the needed cards as soon as possible in a duel, then you're in trouble.
The first, and most important, aspect that a deck needs is to be a 40 Cards deck. This leads to more chances for you to draw the stronger cards you have.
Example: You want to use Sage Stone. It needs you to have Dark Magician Girl on the field and Sage Stone in the hand. It's not easy to accomplish this goal, but it can be made easier if you have a 40-cards deck.

Another thing that fixes the Consistency problem is adding cards that add draw power and search power.

Pot of Duality increases consistency a lot while decreases speed considerably. Every deck that needs some added consistency needs Pot of Duality. Look at Blackwings, for example: they have a powerful search card, Black Whirlwind, but it's said to be an unconsistent deck nowadays. Now, look at the newest Qliphorts: they have one of the most powerful search card ever, Qliphort tool, but in a Qliphort recipe Pot of Duality is still needed to gather the search/combo pieces. This should make you think that even with a powerful search card, Pot of Duality is needed. Your deck has no search/draw power, you totally need Pot of Duality, imo.

2) Draw Power.

You can do the best play ever, but what if the opponent manages to get around it? Your hand will probably be empty and this is bad. It should be also said that adding Draw Power also adds Consistency. The most commonly used and decent generic draw cards are, for the legal side, Cardcar D, Upstart Goblin (3x of that ONLY if you run a 40-card deck), Reckless Greed (3x only for certain decks). You can see that every card has its own drawback, for example Cardcar D stops you for a turn, while Reckless Greed must be used in the same turn you activated another Reckless Greed. Upstart Goblin is the most commonly used because, when running a 40-cards deck, it will be like running a 37-card Deck, which is good for Consistency.

3) Staples.

Staple cards are those card that can you put almost in any deck. Examples: Solemn Warning, Compulsory Evacuation Device, Bottomless, Torrential Tribute, Soul Charge, Dark Hole, Mystical Space Typhoon, Book of Moon, Dimensional Prison, Mirror Force, Fiendish Chain, Breakthrough Skill, Maxx C, Effect Veiler, Upstart Goblin, Pot of Duality.

While they won't help much for a deck specific play, but are surely important.

4) Card Advantage.

Card Advantage is preferred over Life Points advantage. This sums up to the Consistency factor of a deck: you can do a powerful play but if the opponent finds a way to counter what you did, then you will be in a bad situation. Your hand will probably be empty, or near to it. The fact is that some cards are preferred over other cards just for card advantage. Dark Hole is preferred over Lightning Vortex because it doesn't need any discard cost, unlike Vortex. Sage Stone needs Dark Magician Girl on the field, and bringing her surely made you use other cards. In the case when Dark Magician Girl is no longer on the field, you lost the cards you used to bring her to the field, and your Sage Stone will be dead in your hand. This is why Dark Magic Curtain and Dark Renewal are way better to bring Dark Magician on the field. The former doesn't leave you with any card disadvantage, the latter really hurts the opponent.



I'd want to do some examples to enforce the points I said before.

1) Dragunity was way better before Dragon Ravine was banned. That field spell card gave you what you REALLY needed in that specific moment. This is the definition of "Consistency".

2) Why is Shaddoll Beast a really needed card in a Shaddoll deck? Because drawing cards is really important in a game where almost every staple card stops your plays.

3) The staples are also commonly found in Side Decks because some of those cards hurt a lot some decks. Bottomless Trap Hole isn't used a lot anymore, but it's LETAL against Geargia and Wolfbark.

4) Blackwings can halve your biggest monster's ATK and DEF, do penetrating damage with 2 cards, search monsters. ecc. ecc. but they're very vulnerable, and when you'll be in a bad situation, card advantage will decide who will win.
---

I'm just giving general hints, I hope I helped you.


UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
jacollo
2014-09-28T20:57:51Z
I'll add something of my own, mostly about consistency. I'll do it with one of my favorite IRL things, MATH! When you see a guy coming with MATH to a children's card game forum, you know things are serious [:lol:] [:lol:]


  1. Consistency
    This is all a matter of simple probability. To keep things clear, the chance you have of drawing a card can be shown as a fraction. The Numerator is the number of cards you want to draw and the Denominator is the number of cards you have in your deck. You have higher chances of drawing the card you want if you have more copies(Numerator is greater) or your deck is smaller(Denominator is smaller).

    Example:
    Let's say at you very first draw you want to draw Eye of Timeaus from your deck. The chances of you doing that are 3/42(if no Eye is in your hand or somewhere else). In a 40 card deck the chances of that happening are 3/35. You tell me which chances you like most?

  2. Draw Engine
    Thanks to effects that make you draw cards(Cardcard D and all the other stuff Cris mentioned before), search out other cards(Mystic Tomato, Reinforcements of the Army, Sage Stone) help thin you deck. That IMPROVES your chances of drawing the card you want, like I stated above.

  3. Staples
    This is a rather touchy subject. Staples are good cards, if they weren't no one would use them. Personally I add Staples to the deck when I'm out of ideas what to use. I find staples useful, but I wouldn't start building my deck from gathering staples. That's going to leave you nearly no room for the decks winning strategy.

  4. Advantage
    There are a few type of advantages in the game, they all are a factor in winning. I'll briefly talk about each one

    • Deck Advantage
      In short, it's the number of cards in your deck. Remember that the first person to deckout loses the duel. This is a major factor if the duel is longer than expected. It doesn't matter otherwise.
    • Field Advantage
      Basically, it's all the cards on the field, your monsters, traps and spells. In order to determine who has the field advantage all you have to do is look. This form of advantage is always changing.
    • Graveyard/Banish Zone Advantage
      This is a Advantage that is used by decks that utilize Graveyard abuse or Banish Zone Abuse. This type of advantage is determined by the number of card you have in the respective zone.
    • Hand Advantage
      This is pretty simple, the player with more cards in hand has the advantage. This type of advantage is rather important, for various reasons. The primary one is that your opponent CANNOT see your hand unlike your field or Grave/Banish zone. With that you have the element of surprise.



That pretty much wraps everything up [:lol:]
My Youtube Channel Red-Eyes Jacollo  (new video every week)
DragonOsman2
2014-09-29T01:44:14Z
The Side Deck still needs some work and it's 47 cards, but I did put in Dark Magic Curtain. I also put in two Jar of Greed and I can also use Wonder Wand to draw cards if I want to. And I also added in Chaos Zone to sort of help ou the Chaos aspect (although the Deck is still actually just "pseudo-Chaos," since it doesn't a lot of the more powerful Chaos monsters like Lightpulsar Dragon).

Here is the pic: UserPostedImage

I really want to duel an actual person with this deck first . . . I've dueled the AI too many times now.
Higuide
2014-09-29T03:30:34Z
where's dark renewal? its better than magical dimension because you can special summon from the deck or grave also just sends the other monster to the grave as opposed to destroying.
DragonOsman2
2014-09-29T11:39:05Z
I admit it's a good card, but it's an OCG card; I don't want to get spoiled by OCG cards too much and I also want to be able to make the whole deck in real life as well.

That and I want more Spell Cards than Trap Cards.

By the way, anyone know how to make a 50-card Deck that feels like it's 40 cards or less? I want to try to do that to my Deck, somehow. I'm thinking of maybe adding another Chaos Zone and a Magician's Circle or two. Magician's Circle should come in handy for Special Summoning a Dark Magician Girl from my Deck if I still haven't drawn her, or I could even Special Summon any other Spellcaster with 2000 or less ATK, like Breaker or Effect Veiler (she's my only Tuner, and if I have all the Synchro Materials on the field at the time, I could Synchro for Tempest Magician, Stardust Dragon, or Arcanite Magician).

I probably need more Level 6 monsters, to use as Synchro Materials for Photon Strike Bounzer. And they should preferably be Spellcasters, so I can have more targets for Sorcerer of Dark Magic (damn it, why is he so hard to summon? Although I've managed to summon him quite a lot with this Deck, but still . . . ).

I could definitely try using Pot of Duality, but the problem is I can't Special Summon on the turn I use it. My Deck pretty much relies quite heavily on Special Summoning, so I'm reluctant to use a card that stops me from Special Summoning.
Higuide
2014-09-30T19:40:49Z

i don't see any reason not to use OCG cards here in ygo pro (or dev pro), only thing i don't spoil myself with is their banlist (idk what're thinking). if anything 99% ends up as TCG/OCG, by the time ocg cards are in circulation internationally they're old news and already moved on with other sets of cards. pretty much makes them the future of thats to be in TCG, new archetypes, supports for current existing decks, whether or not either the deck you're investing will be more powerful should or left in the dust
DragonOsman2
2014-10-01T11:55:31Z
I decided to put Dark Renewal in. I'll take another screenshot of the Deck to show here.

As you can see from the Deck, I only really spoil myself with the fact that I'm the type that generally prefers playing in Traditional Format. That'll change once Dark Magician of Chaos comes off of the banlist, though. Him and Monster Reborn should go back to being Limited Cards, at least, if not making Dark Magician of Chaos Semi-Limited or Unlimited (Monster Reborn is better off as Limited).

It's good that they took Magician of Faith back to Semi-Limited status, but they also seriously need to bring Dark Magician of Chaos back into the Advanced Format, too. Pot of Greed being banned makes sense, though, so that one should stay banned. I still like using it, though, so I'll add it to my Deck on YGO Pro.

UserPostedImage

Now, about what I said earlier, making it a 50-card Deck that feels like 40 cards or less - is that possible? If so, what should I do for that?

I kept Magical Dimension because I think being able to Special Summon a Spellcaster from the Graveyard, Hand or Deck is better than being able to Special Summon one only from the Deck or Graveyard. And even though Dark Magic Curtain is more efficient in Special Summoning Dark Magician, you lose half your Life Points for nothing if he gets killed or something and you also can't Normal, Flip, or Special Summoning anything else on the turn that you use Dark Magic Curtain, either. That is why I just prefer Sage's Stone; we can just agree to disagree on this one.

Anyway, is there a card that's better than Dark Illusion that I could use? I need to be able to protect my monsters from Card Effects that could kill them and/or steal them from me in any way (there's this one Xyz monster I've encountered that can detach its two Xyz Materials to take one Special Summoned monster on the opponent's side of the field as an Xyz Material - I need to be able to avoid things like that as well). I also have Photon Strike Bounzer for protecting my monsters from other Monster Effects, but of course it requires two Level 6 monsters and I need more of those (and I know Photon Strike Bounzer doesn't have the restriction, but I'd still prefer them to be Spellcasters).
SGJin
2014-10-01T13:48:15Z
Safe Zone might be a card worth looking into, I use it in most of my decks for protection.

Quote:

Activate this card by targeting 1 face-up Attack Position monster on the field; that face-up monster cannot be targeted or destroyed by your opponent's card effects, or be destroyed by battle. It cannot attack your opponent directly. When this card leaves the field, destroy that monster. When that monster leaves the field, destroy this card.



Pros
+ Protects from almost everything.
+ Continuous
+ Can be used to destroy opponents cards

Cons
- Monster is destroyed if Safe Zone is Destroyed
- can't attack directly with equipped monster.

Other cards that might be worth looking into for protection. (although not as multi-purposed as you would like)
- Gagagashield
- Spellbook of Wisdom


Also Magical Dimension can only special summon from your hand, so it kind of make is a situational card if you don't have any high level spellcasters to summon. I used to like this card a lot, but nowadays I just have it side decked.




DragonOsman2
2014-10-02T00:00:44Z
That's why I said I prefer having both Magical Dimension and Dark Renewal, though; Magical Dimension only lets you Special Summon a Spellcaster-Type monster from your hand, plus and it can be any Attribute and you also get to destroy any one monster on your opponent's side of the field, regardless or whether or not it was just summoned, which are all pros for Magical Dimension, while on the other hand, although Dark Renewal allows you to Special Summon a Spellcaster-Type monster from the Graveyard or Deck, it only targets Dark Spellcasters, and monsters in your hand aren't an option; besides that, it can only activate when a monster is summoned and you can only a Tribute the one monster on your opponent's side of the field that had just been summoned and which triggered Dark Renewal. I've decided putting both in my Deck because it feels better being able to Special Summon from the hand, Deck, or Graveyard (although I can already do that with Skilled Dark Magician).

And yeah, Safe Zone really is a bit too limited; I like Dark Illusion, but it, too, is limited in that it only protects one Dark monster on your side of the field that had been targeted by a card effect (and yeah, emphasis on "targeted," as it only works on effects that target - another good thing about Magical Dimension's destruction effect is that it doesn't target, although you still need to negate certain monsters' effects before trying to destroy them (like Stardust Dragon or Wind-Up Zenmaines)). That's too limited, although it's a good thing that it doesn't stop the monster it protects from attacking directly. Photon Strike Bounzer is better, but he's an Xyz monster so I have to detach an Xyz Material from him whenever I use his effect, so I should either keep more than one of him, or keep Spell or Trap Cards that can add more Xyz Materials to Xyz monsters (like Overlay Regen, for example?).

By the way, I took out Monster Reincarnation, one Magician's Circle, and one extra Effect Veiler (added it to the Side Deck, and also took out the second Mirror Force from in there).

I won't take another picture, but this is what the List looks like now (it's 45 cards):

Monsters (20):
Dark Magician x3
Sorcerer of Dark Magic
Black Luster Soldier - Envoy of the Beginning
Dark Magician of Chaos
Chaos Sorcerer
Dark Magician Girl x2
Skilled Dark Magician x2
Elemental Hero Prisma x3
Breaker the Magical Warrior
Tsukuyomi
Magician of Faith x2
Effect Veiler x2

Spells (20):
The Eye of Timaeus x3
Dark Magic Attack
Sage's Stone x2
Dark Hole
Pot of Greed
Thousand Knives
Swords of Revealing Light
Monster Reborn
Mystical Space Typhoon
Forbidden Chalice
Forbidden Lance x2
Magical Dimension
Burial from a Different Dimension
Dedication through Light and Darkness
Wonder Wand x2

Traps (5):
Magician's Circle
Dark Renewal
Jar of Greed
Dark Bribe
Destruction Jammer

Extra Deck (15):
Amulet Dragon
Dark Paladin x2
Dark Magician Girl the Dragon Knight x2
Stardust Dragon
Arcanite Magician
Tempest Magician
Ebon Illusion Magician
Photon Strike Bounzer
Magi Magi * Magician Gal
Number 39: Utopia
Steelswarm Roach
Daigusto Emeral x2

Side Deck (15):
Effect Veiler
Forbidden Chalice x2
Forbidden Lance
Mirror Force
Breakthrough Skill x3
Fiendish Chain x3
Soul Drain
Debunk x3


Could you help me test my Deck by dueling me YGO Pro? I think it'd help me out a lot.

I think my Side Deck could use some help as well (and also, I still don't really get what cards to switch out when I'm siding).
SGJin
2014-10-02T02:19:01Z
Sure, I don't mind helping test your deck; Spellcaster deck vs Spellcaster deck should be neat.
DragonOsman2
2014-10-02T12:58:04Z
You're using a Spellcaster Deck, too? That's pretty interesting to know. So when can we duel? Be sure to give me the passwords for both the duel and the server that the duel will be held in, since I'm new to this and don't know the server password.

By the way, should I put Chaos Zone back in here? If so, how?

Also, my Extra Deck also has Ebon Illusion Magician in it; would you consider him a Chaos monster? He can banish one monster on the field if a Spellcaster-Type Normal monster on my side of the field declares an attack, so I think it's safe to assume that he's a Chaos monster (the good thing is, I don't have to detach any Xyz Materials to activate this effect, and he can still use his normal attack on the turn that I activate this effect, too).