imnottouchinyou
2013-10-07T10:29:13Z
I played this card against a Fire deck where he performed 2 different special summon by monster card effect and spell card effect and both summons i was unable to negate. Can someone watch this and tell me its not bugged or am i not understanding the ruling?
File Attachment(s):
bugged out roach.yrp (1kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
laserbeam
2013-10-07T10:47:10Z
Steelswarm Roach can only stop inherent summons
So it can't stop spell/trap cards that summon monsters and monster's effects that start a chain
Quote:

This effect can only negate a Special Summon that does not start a chain, like "Cyber Dragon" and "Chaos Sorcerer"


http://yugioh.wikia.com/...Rulings:Steelswarm_Roach 
UserPostedImage
imnottouchinyou
2013-10-07T10:56:43Z
Originally Posted by: laserbeam 

Steelswarm Roach can only stop inherent summons
So it can't stop spell/trap cards that summon monsters and monster's effects that start a chain

Quote:

This effect can only negate a Special Summon that does not start a chain, like "Cyber Dragon" and "Chaos Sorcerer"


http://yugioh.wikia.com/...Rulings:Steelswarm_Roach 



so pretty much this card effect doesn't even work? haha it should just be considered a normal monster then because i still don't understand what other special summon can there be?
Steeldarkeagel
2013-10-07T11:20:16Z
Built-in Special Summons (also known as inherent Special Summons) are Special Summons that happen due to a condition that the monster has; this Special Summon does not start a Chain. This can only be performed when the game state is open during your Main Phase (for example, "Cyber Dragon", "Solar Wind Jammer", "Ghost Ship", "Exodius the Ultimate Forbidden Lord", etc.). This type of Special Summon behaves similarly to Normal Summons and Flip Summons. Contact Fusions, Synchro Summons and Xyz Summons fall into this group of Special Summons.

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Special_Summon 

So Roach can negate all these things.
Eps
  • Eps
  • Advanced Member
2013-10-07T13:00:23Z
Originally Posted by: Steeldarkeagel 

Built-in Special Summons (also known as inherent Special Summons) are Special Summons that happen due to a condition that the monster has; this Special Summon does not start a Chain. This can only be performed when the game state is open during your Main Phase (for example, "Cyber Dragon", "Solar Wind Jammer", "Ghost Ship", "Exodius the Ultimate Forbidden Lord", etc.). This type of Special Summon behaves similarly to Normal Summons and Flip Summons. Contact Fusions, Synchro Summons and Xyz Summons fall into this group of Special Summons.

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Special_Summon 

So Roach can negate all these things.



And the reason it can't negate Special Summons via card effect is because once an effect has started resolving, it cannot be interrupted. This means that in order to prevent the summon, the only option is to negate the card effect itself. In order to be able to do that, the counter-card's text has to include the following wording:

"When a monster would be Summoned, OR when a Spell Card, Trap Card, or monster effect is activated that includes an effect that Special Summons a monster(s): Pay 2000 Life Points; negate the Summon or activation, and if you do, destroy that card." (courtesy of Solemn Warning)

If that second part is not present in a card's text (as in the case of Steelswarm Roach), you cannot use it to prevent a Special Summon of a monster via another card's effect.

Another similar wording you might encounter:

"Negate the Special Summon of a monster, or the effect of a card that would Special Summon a monster."
Arcana17
2013-10-07T13:42:22Z
And, to make you feel bettter about Steelwarm Roach, it can negate 2 Judgement Dragons.[:laugh:] [:laugh:]
arlon_kyo
2013-10-07T13:44:47Z
Originally Posted by: Arcana17 

And, to make you feel bettter about Steelwarm Roach, it can negate 2 Judgement Dragons.[:laugh:] [:laugh:]



Sorry my hand got the third 1 [:laugh:] [:laugh:] [:laugh:]
yutsuki_ame
2013-10-07T13:59:58Z
Originally Posted by: arlon_kyo 

Originally Posted by: Arcana17 

And, to make you feel bettter about Steelwarm Roach, it can negate 2 Judgement Dragons.[:laugh:] [:laugh:]



Sorry my hand got the third 1 [:laugh:] [:laugh:] [:laugh:]



Steelswarm Roach:"Sorry for you Judgment no.3,because... my back is....Bottomless Traphole[:sad:] ."